• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Give me some exhaust suggestions

ezsvt

CEG'er
Ok first off I spent quite a bit of time reading, and I just find myself wanting to buy headers and other things, maybe its ADD or something, but anyhow...

I've kinda been down this road before so I want to make sure I dont screw this up again. The old svt had a custom 3" exhaust, SHM long tube headers, and magnaflow mufflers, no resonator, and was just ridiculously loud. I had purchased a magnaflow resonator for it but ended up selling it before it was installed. At the time I liked the huge 4" tips off the end of the magnaflows, now I think that looks kinda ricey.

The "new" car has stock SVT exhaust including resonator. I want a deeper sound, nice looking rolled tips, and a bit of power gain. I dont want to spend $800+. I think I would start with one of the trubendz exhausts, not sure yet on 2.5" or 3", 2.5" seems a bit wussy to me but I guess thats what most people are doing. I'll take it to an exhaust shop and hope for minimal fitment issues.

As for mufflers/tips: I listened to quite a few clips and liked the magnaflow sound and price, but I dont like the look of my old ones and im worried it would be too loud. Id prefer a 3.5" max rolled edge tip, kinda like the borla

So maybe the 2.5" trubendz, magnaflow resonator, some magnaflow mufflers and something worked up for the tips...thoughts?

I have 3.5 in double walled tips on mine.

DSC03900-1.jpg

I have Magnaflow mufflers, 2.5 in. from the split back. In that picture, if you look close, you can see a Magnaflow muffler in place of the resonator... I had it removed since then and now have a glasspack.

I pretty much hate the Magnflows. They were much quieter than my stock exhaust with a glasspack. That had a nice deep rumble to it all the time. I miss it.

I have some sound clips that I can PM you if you'd like. I do have headers and a CAI on the car.
They seems to have gotten a bit louder, I noticed on the way to SZ that I could actually hear the exhaust. :)

I know you've heard a bunch of clips already but if you are interested, let me know.

Last edited:
That set-up looks excellent :)... I am just curious, how much did you spend on it? If you don't mind me asking....

Ok first off I spent quite a bit of time reading, and I just find myself wanting to buy headers and other things, maybe its ADD or something, but anyhow...
Join the club :crazy:

I've kinda been down this road before so I want to make sure I dont screw this up again. The old svt had a custom 3" exhaust, SHM long tube headers, and magnaflow mufflers, no resonator, and was just ridiculously loud. I had purchased a magnaflow resonator for it but ended up selling it before it was installed. At the time I liked the huge 4" tips off the end of the magnaflows, now I think that looks kinda ricey.
Sounds like you had a great setup!! Those headers are really rare...i wish you would have kept them. :)

The "new" car has stock SVT exhaust including resonator. I want a deeper sound, nice looking rolled tips, and a bit of power gain. I dont want to spend $800+. I think I would start with one of the trubendz exhausts, not sure yet on 2.5" or 3", 2.5" seems a bit wussy to me but I guess thats what most people are doing. I'll take it to an exhaust shop and hope for minimal fitment issues.
2.5inch is best for optimum flow and great for overall performance. 3" is a bit on the large side and your power curve will shift to a higher rpm. Seeing our svts don't have much power down low...i would highly advise a 2.5"

As for mufflers/tips: I listened to quite a few clips and liked the magnaflow sound and price, but I dont like the look of my old ones and im worried it would be too loud. Id prefer a 3.5" max rolled edge tip, kinda like the borlaSo maybe the 2.5" trubendz, magnaflow resonator, some magnaflow mufflers and something worked up for the tips...thoughts?
2.5" borla trubendz is my favorite :cool: Hands down my favorite exhaust...perfect euro tone with a higher pitch noise that makes the duretec sing at the upper rpms. Then just order exhaust tips and your all set. Headers well you have two choices.
1. MSDS headers
2. Nautilus performance SS headers now.

That set-up looks excellent :)... I am just curious, how much did you spend on it? If you don't mind me asking....

I bought the mufflers and tips from a shop online, Performance Peddler.com (had an ebay ad, I bought them from the ad). I had a shop in the Reading area install them as well as make the new piping. IIRC, it was $2xx for the piping and install. This shop is outstanding and the owner is on site. Claude, the owner, is a great guy.
This is the ONLY place I will trust with the exhaust needs of my car. It took me a bit over an hour to get there and it was well worth it. They are careful with your car.
They did the exhaust install on Buddy Palumbo's ex-SVT (now owned by BrApple) as well.

Go there if you need work done!
http://www.mervines4exhaust.com/

If you go in the morning, take them a dozen donuts. The techs will love ya for it. :)

Last edited:
Thanks!

I would do all the work myself... I don't know if I wanna go all out with headers, highflow cat, magnaflow mufflers, trubendz piping and whatnot.... which is a lot of money :(.... or just nice mufflers but I don't think the stock ones sound that bad with the resonator cut out..

Back