• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

getting new tires...inputs?

Continental ContiExtremeContacts

I absolutely love them. They were on my SVT when I bought it and 22k miles later they are almost gone and I ordered the same as replacements. Good dry traction with excellent wet and snow handling. Oh, and less then $100 each too!

dude kuhmo tires FTW!!! there like $80 for high performace Escta all seasons and they RULE! tons of grip ive got it on my car, my sister and my dads taurus'.

I would just get the cheapest tire in the high performance all season category that I could find. My reasoning is that hight performance all seasons will never be as good ass good summer tires in the dry performance category, and most time not as good in the rain also. They will never be as good in the snow as winter tires. All they have going for them is some have a pretty deceint life expectancy. They're just so so tires to get you to where you need to go. I have fuzion hri as my daily use tire. When I autocross I have another set of wheels and tire I use. But when I'm not trying to go fast, the hri's do fine and only costed 63 a peice in 215/45/17.

Right now, I've got Kumho Ecsta ASX's in 225/50/16. Good in wet, squeal during hard cornering (scaring my wife :laugh: ). Lasted longer then either my BFG's or the Falken's.

But, my next set will be Falken Ziex 512's. They handled better than the Kumho's and were quieter. Less $$ as well. Treadwear was a bit less (320 vs 420 IIRC), but I felt better driving hard with them. (That didn't sound right:laugh: )

new struts now, new tires later

new struts now, new tires later

The tires on my used 1998 Contour Zetec ATX were cupped, and I replaced the struts with stock Ford struts. The improvement in ride and handling is noticeable, but the tires still roar and vibrate a bit. When they wear out, I'll replace them with? The struts weren't cheap, but I think it was the best move...instead of cupping a new set of tires with worn struts.
Wildowl
'98 Contour LX bi-fuel CNG, 127,000 miles.

I am running Toyo proxes 4's and they are amazing, they are super sticky for the track and great street tires, only thing I dont like is they dont produce any smoke.

I have a set of the V4s tires you are looking at. I haven't been that nice to them and they have lasted about 38,000 miles with no problem.

I had yokohama avid H4S's when I bought my car and they were a great commuter tire. Long life, handled well in the rain, and even some light snow. I drove on unplowed highways and only broke the car loose when I wanted to :laugh:

Back