• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

GB: Stangkiller, on NECO, 2 Bolt LCAs (Deposits!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redlineracer12

Addicted CEG'er
I'm copying this thread I started from NECO... I'm not affiliated with this GB, just trying to get 10 people ready to send in deposits for 2 Bolt LCAs

Given the information that was discussed in Info Thread and the interest checks here NECO IC and here CEG IC

We now know the price will be $400, 50% of which will be required up front and the rest prior to shipping. The turn around time is estimated at 8 weeks. They are available in powdercoated black or bare.

We need 10 people that are commited and ready to send in deposits, so lets get the list going!

1. Redlineracer12 - Black

Not to mention the stock four bolts are already superior to the super wimpy stock two bolts.

I'm still not sold on what makes a control arm with fresh bushings wimpy in the first place. I went through this with my mx6 and 626 as well and all people could say was that the stock piece was wimpy even though there werent any discussions about them breaking or needing replacement.

I'm still not sold on what makes a control arm with fresh bushings wimpy in the first place. I went through this with my mx6 and 626 as well and all people could say was that the stock piece was wimpy even though there werent any discussions about them breaking or needing replacement.
There are 2 "issues" these a-arms would address.
1) Flimsy construction. This affects both 2-bolt and 4-bolt arms. "Boxing" them also makes them much more rigid.
2) The vertical orientation of the 2-bolt bushings. Because of this, the bushings are always being stressed/flexed. They also need to be large enough to accommodate the movement of the arm, the down side is all the material allows more movement (squish) under load. The heim joints on the tubular arms will maintain the vertical alignment, and *should* help alot to reduce wheel hop as the arm mount point (2-bolt side) won't be moving all around.

I've heard the wheel hop argument and it ended up not changing noticeably on the mx6/626 platform. The problem ended up solving itself when we could get full poly bushing sets from super pro in Australia which I wish was the same for the Contour.

I've heard the wheel hop argument and it ended up not changing noticeably on the mx6/626 platform. The problem ended up solving itself when we could get full poly bushing sets from super pro in Australia which I wish was the same for the Contour.
That's one of the problems. With the bushings in the vertical orientation, poly bushings would be bad. The rubber is designed to flex... allowing the a-arm to move up and down. Poly bushings would fight that movement. Heims or 4-bolt arms would be the only "better" solution.

That's one of the problems. With the bushings in the vertical orientation, poly bushings would be bad. The rubber is designed to flex... allowing the a-arm to move up and down. Poly bushings would fight that movement. Heims or 4-bolt arms would be the only "better" solution.

Well you have to make a compromise somewhere because flex means wheel hop and both the 4 bolt and 2 bolt do it. The mx6 control arm was two horizontal bushings so it could pivot but not flex nearly as much.

Also can we get some pictures of them in here? I'm not gonna register on NECO just to see the pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back