• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Tank Issues

k_ris

New CEG'er
I am thoroughly fed up with my fuel tank. I am not sure what I can do to fix this, but it reads worse then a pre-schooler. First 60miles it stay above the F, then 10miles after, 3/4. Then when I get around 230-250 it reads from 1/4 to E and fluctuates between there turning the fuel low light on/off. I don't depend on it, but it's a joke. Anyone know if replacing the sending unit would be beneficial? Any tips if it can be calibrated or something?

I would think so too, but I would hate to spend how ever much it cost for a new one to find out that's just how crappy they read in general. My "E" literally means empty when it touches, but sometimes it'll touch even when when reading 1/4 tank a minute before.

Well the thing is I'm not sure you'll find it new and separate from the assembly. They do seem to be iffy in general but yours sounds especially bad. It might be a connection issue or something gummed up.

I am thoroughly fed up with my fuel tank. I am not sure what I can do to fix this, but it reads worse then a pre-schooler. First 60miles it stay above the F, then 10miles after, 3/4. Then when I get around 230-250 it reads from 1/4 to E and fluctuates between there turning the fuel low light on/off. I don't depend on it, but it's a joke. Anyone know if replacing the sending unit would be beneficial? Any tips if it can be calibrated or something?

That is how both of my SVT's have been, well except you get a lot better gas mileage than I do.

On the highway, it will show past full until about 70 miles. It will show right around a half tank at 200 miles, and then about 1/8th at like 260.

I am lucky to get about 290 out of a tank, we seem to have the same reading. Garbage if you ask me. I have not been able to do an accurate read of exactly how much I get, but i have ran out with almost 300mi one time. It's so undependable, I found that out when I ran out of gas twice... I am use to getting like 30-50mi after E... This car, E is "E"

City-175-200 Before I fill up, about an 1/8 according to the gauge. Its usually 11.5-12 gallons

Highway-I went 315 miles this last trip before I filled up, which was more than 12 gallons

its pretty typical that the fuel guage dives through the middle of the guage and is slower in moving at the top or bottom

Back