• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel Pump replacement

ryder59

New CEG'er
Im looking at replacing my fuel pump. Just need to know what fuel pump I should upgrade to. I have a 2000 Mystique 2.0 VCT ATX. Should I get the focus pump or would the mystique pump be the best. If you could provide a link to the correct pump it would be appreciated.

unless you are going forced induction there is no reason to upgrade the pump. If the pump is bad just replace it with the upgraded sending unit from Ford.

Where would be the best place to get one??? Can I just go to any auto parts store and ask for the sending unit for my car??? Has everything been upgraded by now...

any real reason to replace the fuel pump?

any real reason to replace the fuel pump?

With your year car you either need to cut up the body or pull the fuel tank to replace the pump. Do you have any problems with the pump that you are willing to mess with it? If not you might consider the sleeping dog method. Yup, leave sleeping dogs lie.

Well I have been having a problem with my car hesitating. I either take a left hand corner or accelerate quickly and my engine hesitates and cuts out, sometimes it will even stall out. And it seems to have a direct relationship to the amount of fuel in the tank. When the tank is full, it seems like no matter what I do I cant make it hesitate. But at a half tank or lower it can be done very easily. Under a quarter tank it happens almost everytime I turn left. It does not happen when I turn right though. It is a very confusing problem. Maybe it isnt the fuel pump. I have never heard of a fuel pump slowly going bad. I have had the car for almost 2 years and it has always had this problem. I usually just try to keep the tank over half full, so I dont have the issues. But if I could do something to fix the problem it would be nice. Maybe someone has an alternative explanation or idea. Any help would be appreciated. I wont be working on it for a couple months since Im currently doing a tour of duty in Iraq and wont be home until Febuary. But if I have some good ideas to work with before I get home it would make things go much smoother. Thank you ahead of time for all the help.

thats because you have a returnless fuel system. they are know for the exact issue you are discribing. install the updated fuel pump and that should take care of the issue.

Yes I know I have a returnless fuel system. What I am wondering is, if I go to the parts store and get a new fuel pump for a 2000 mystique will it be an updated fuel pump??? Or do I need to get a focus pump like alot of the posts say?????

Yes I know I have a returnless fuel system. What I am wondering is, if I go to the parts store and get a new fuel pump for a 2000 mystique will it be an updated fuel pump??? Or do I need to get a focus pump like alot of the posts say?????
No, call up bill Jenkins at team ford and ask for the updated Contour fuel sending unit. It's a different design which doesn't have the problems the original design did. You will have to cut some tabs inside the tank to install it but they cut pretty easily with a razor.

the damn filter

the damn filter

there is a filter in the can around the fuel pump. It is causing your problem. It is a little disc filter and it plugs up making the refilll of the fuel pump can too slow. If you only replace the fuel pump throw that disc filter away.

Yup you have all of the symptoms of a plugged disc filter and since you are going in, you might want to put in a new pump.

Or you could just keep the fuel tank above 1/2 full and leave it alone. I did for about a year.

And thank you for your service, I really appreciate it.

Best of luck

Will I need to replace the whole sending unit or can I just replace the pump itself? The sending unit is a fairly expensive part. But if I need the whole unit, I guess I will have to pay the price.

When I had this exact problem, I called Bill Jenkins and got the Focus SVT pump and a new sealing o-ring (make sure you get the one for the contour, not the focus) and swapped over the pump itself. I also removed the filter disc and thoroughly cleaned the filter sock on the pump. The whole deal cost around $100.

That said, my more recent purchases from teamforparts have been nothing but problems. Bill J no longer works in the parts department and I guess the people who do don't have a clue. I suggest going elsewhere for parts.

Will I need to replace the whole sending unit or can I just replace the pump itself? The sending unit is a fairly expensive part. But if I need the whole unit, I guess I will have to pay the price.
you can just replace the pump and remove the disc, however its not the pump that has problems, its the design of the basket which over time causes the pumps to fail. even with the disc removed the design is still flawed, I installed the Focus pump when my SVT was having problems and 6 months later the pump was dead. replaced the whole sending unit with the upgraded one and never had any problems again.

So my best bet would be to just buy the whole new fuel module??? Is teamfordparts the only place that I can purchase that???
you can get it from any Ford dealer, however Bill Jenkins at Team Ford or Steve at Tousely Ford give us a big discount, something around 10% over is cost is what we pay.

Ok and how do I get the discount?? Just tell them I am part of CEG?? And can I reach them on CEG or do I have to call team ford or tousley?? From what I have heard bill doesnt work in the parts dept. at team ford anymore.

the easiest thing to do would be to call Steve at Tousely. Im not sure if he is a member here but I know he is over on FocalJet. you can also just get the full part number (which should be on here somewhere) from your local Ford dealership and then order online.

Back