• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fuel line compatibility

DirtyBird

CEG'er
Ok, so I have been researching this a lot, and i think I have the majority of what needs to go down, but I'm still a little fuzzy on a couple things.

1) for some reason my 97 SE has the old pre 95 side style injectors, which im guessing wont matter, but still wierd. It also has the return fuel line system. from what i have gathered, the 3.0l is returnless. Can i still use my fuel lines/pump, and just plug the return side, and tune? Or do i have to replace the pump and everything?

2) i have the stock exhaust manifolds, a glass pack instead of the main cat, and the svt cat-back pipes and mufflers (sounds good!) If i was to gut the 'pre-cats' in the manifolds, and put the mileliminators in, will that effect, or make tuning (at a race shop) impossible? Not sure if the tune uses the O2 sensors to do it.

3) what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing a full 3.0 ( TB, UIM, LIM, valve covers etc) vs. Doing a hybrid (2.5 uim, lim, tb, valve covers etc)? Sounds like with the full 3.0 may be some sensor connectivity issues? And fuel line brazing? And the hybrid you have to port the heads? Anything else?

I know you guys are all prolly gonna say to search more, but i've been researching for months, and cant find details on doing a pre 98 3.0l swap. and i am on a budget for this project, about 3 grand, for the new engine, clutch, and remanufactured tranny, and tune. So I am tryin to anticipate all the ins and outs and possible snags.

Thanks for your help guys! You have already helped me a TON with other things ive done. Much appreciated!

a pre98 3L swap wont really be any different than a 98-early 99 as they all use the return style fuel system.

1) for some reason my 97 SE has the old pre 95 side style injectors, which im guessing wont matter, but still wierd. It also has the return fuel line system. from what i have gathered, the 3.0l is returnless. Can i still use my fuel lines/pump, and just plug the return side, and tune? Or do i have to replace the pump and everything?

You need to use the return line, your pump is not designed to run returnless. Pick up a new fuel regulator that has a return port. NPG-racing.com also has a complete solution that you can use as well.

2) i have the stock exhaust manifolds, a glass pack instead of the main cat, and the svt cat-back pipes and mufflers (sounds good!) If i was to gut the 'pre-cats' in the manifolds, and put the mileliminators in, will that effect, or make tuning (at a race shop) impossible? Not sure if the tune uses the O2 sensors to do it.

No it won't effect anything on the tune. Most likely they will just shut off the secondary O2 sensors anyway.

3) what are the advantages/disadvantages of doing a full 3.0 ( TB, UIM, LIM, valve covers etc) vs. Doing a hybrid (2.5 uim, lim, tb, valve covers etc)? Sounds like with the full 3.0 may be some sensor connectivity issues? And fuel line brazing? And the hybrid you have to port the heads? Anything else?

For the most part... it's easier and bolts in. IMO a hybrid is more work. Really no issues with sensors, just reuse the ones from your old engine. No fuel line brazing either. Again see the comment I had above. If your looking for more information on the hybrid installation, you really need to search. I know you said you did, but you clearly were not searching with the correct words or the right forums. All of your questions have been answered in great detail in many threads on these forums.

Ok... THANK YOU 49!! I am, and will be, searching, and searching, and searching some more. I find a lot of good stuff, but hard to find details, and specifics, or just in the right direction, since "3L" and "97" and other 2 letter words wont search... and everybody always says just search more. I have been looking into this since I joined CEG.

Anyways. I talked to my tune shop guy today... he wont help me at all. He said he would tune it, but wouldn't point me in any direction, or hook anything up, since he deals with race TEAMS that shell out thousands and thousands for his help.... sad day! lol (He showed me a piston for a Miata engine he is building, EACH piston is $3,000)

I am going to do the full 3L swap. UIM, LIM, TB, everything. The only things from a 2.5 I am planing on leaving in the car are the transmission, clutch, and (I'm guessing) the timing covers. I want you to KNOW its a 3.0L when you open the hood. lol

I will get that NPG fuel rail mod. Thank you for that link.

If the Hybrid 3.L is a lot more work, how come most of the ones on her I have seen are such? With the SVT, ST, or reg 2.5 UIM LIM etc...

Gotchya... Thank you. Do you know, if i do the 3.0 long block, if my stock ecu will run the engine enough to get it to the tune shop? Or is that just not gonna happen

Gotchya... Thank you. Do you know, if i do the 3.0 long block, if my stock ecu will run the engine enough to get it to the tune shop? Or is that just not gonna happen

what build do you want to do? a ported/hybrid setup will run fine before a tune. the straight 3L not having secondaries could be an issue.

Stright 3L everything. They dont have secondaries? The ones i saw at the yard today had secondaries. Im assuming you are talkin IMRC.

The junk yard has a few 3.l that could work. About 90k on them, but only 250 with EVERYTHING on it. Is a junkyard motor woth the risk? Ther front end of the car looked ok.

seperate note, has anyone ever tried to put a SHO engine in?

Back