• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front oil seal

UmmScott

CEG'er
So I've determined that my front oil seal is leaking quite a bit..

What is the recommended way to replace that seal? I think I'm gonna tackle my water pump leak and that oil leak at the same time. I might as well get a new timing belt....for like the 4th time lol, cuz it has oil all over it

I'm not familiar with the pre-VCT Zetec. But, if the oil pump is on the front of the crankshaft like on the VCT engine (can't see why it wouldn't be) it is as easy as pulling the seal and tapping a new one in place.

If your oil pump bolts on to the engine and you have to take the oil pan off also, then we may have the same kind of pump. Maybe just designed differently..

Could you elaborate on "pulling the seal" The haynes manual says don't do that, but then again that manual says not to do so many things its rediculous

Remove crank pulley, t-belt, and timing gear on crankshaft, being careful not to lose the woodruff key. Behind it is the crank seal. Pull it out one of two ways: Pry between the outside of the seal and the front case until the seal begins to back out (Never pry between the crank and the inside of the seal!). Alternately, screw two very small self-tapping sheet metal screws into the body of the seal at the 9 and 3 o clock positions. Grab the with pliers and yank sharply, the seal will pop right out. Using the second method there is less chance of damaging the crankshaft. Drive the new seal in with an appropriately sized socket or seal driver. I sometimes coat the outside of the seal with an extremely thin layer of anaerobic gasket maker if I have any doubt about the seal bore having a perfect surface.

Back