• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ford Contour SVT IMRC...

SVT

CEG'er
I don't believe my IMRC is working as it should because I dynoed my car for my senior project and got 91whp... HAHA

I don't have any codes..... could it still be the IMRC?

Which transistors do I replace if it is the IMRC?

Quick responses needed.. Thanks!

That COULD be... I dyno'd my 3L once with one bank of the secondaries disabled (front bank had come un-hooked) and it made about 40 WHP less than it should have.

you'd think with only 91hp you'd have a code. have you hooked a scanner up to it? or are you just saying there's no codes because your cel isn't on?

I am just saying that because there is no light on...

And i just thought of this being the prob last night. I will check to see if the imrc acually works today. Ill let you all informed.

its pretty obvious if the imrc isn't working. you loose all power above 4k rpm or you have no power below 4 krpm and it comes alive up top.

im saying the dyno sucks.
:laugh:

youre wrong! dude... i found the problem but don't know how to fix it... its the little metal arm that pushes the lever to open the secondaries... it seems like there should be a grommet there that the metal rod sticks into!! !

its had to have been like this since i bought the car... FREE POWER SOON!

youre wrong! dude... i found the problem but don't know how to fix it... its the little metal arm that pushes the lever to open the secondaries... it seems like there should be a grommet there that the metal rod sticks into!! !

its had to have been like this since i bought the car... FREE POWER SOON!

you buy a new grommit .... search, there are a few options ...

Me to...didn't know it till I had to replace the water hose that sits right under the throttle body. Talk about free power!:laugh: I thought my car was just running bad and needed a tune up for a while.

Free power feels dang good doesn't it!!!!

Im pretty happy about my svt right now :laugh:

I'm doing the transistor fix to mine tomorrow if I have time after the NPG brake upgrade. You put a TIP 122 transistor in place of the crap stock one that burns up. I know mine isn't working because I pop the hood, gun the motor up to redline and nothing happens with the secondary connecting arm at all. Just preventative maintenance if you haven't done it yet since yours is fixed apparently.

I'm doing the transistor fix to mine tomorrow if I have time after the NPG brake upgrade. You put a TIP 122 transistor in place of the crap stock one that burns up. I know mine isn't working because I pop the hood, gun the motor up to redline and nothing happens with the secondary connecting arm at all. Just preventative maintenance if you haven't done it yet since yours is fixed apparently.

hmm i think im going to try this when i get home and time to work. mine sometime work sometimes dont

Mine was flaky for probably about 2,000 miles. I got the 1514 code, checked the IMRC and it was still popping the secondaries open just fine. Cleared the code out and it was fine for about a month. So yeah I'd do yours right away. I just hope the fix works. If not I need to find a working one on here and be stuck driving the horrific beater till I get the CSVT fixed. Stupid freaking cel came on right as my inspection went overdue. Grumble...

Well, I'm getting into the "conversation" late (months later), but when I tried to get my state inspection done on my '98 Contour SVT, the emissions failed. They told me it was largely due to a malfunctioning IMRC. I hate to buy a new one if it just needs a "grommet fix" as mentioned earlier in the post. I guess I can try it and then, if that doesn't work, maybe I do need to replace the entire IMRC. Exactly where is it located ? Is there an online site that has pictures that would show it ?

Thanks in advance,
Dave G. in VA

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread! I'm new to this, not sure exactly what the imrc does, but the cable going into the box is broke, there is a hole where I suppose the electical connection plug should be (the connecting end is just laying next to and under the box), and there is an empty spot where an actuator should go? (the upper left corner of the box) One thing the previous owner told me was he thought there was lag in throttle response and the secondary reed was sticking so he took it out.
My car is a 98 SVT with 2.5L V6 HO engine.

**Update** Ok, I just saw a pic of an imrc, I guess mine is also missing the circuit board, too. I would think that the mileage would suffer. I had a problem with the A/C compressor being locked up and dragging the belt. Finally, after not being able to get the engine turned over to start, I put a shorter belt on it bypassing the compressor and gained about 4 - 5 mpg! I do have another noise now though too. Under acceleration, there is a kind of whining/sucking sound, almost like a vacuum hose being off. I can't find any loose hoses, but it does seem to lack the power it seemed to have before this. Don't know if it is related or not, but I had a pretty hard jolt from road seam going through a construction zone.....grrrr....Illinois roads are horrible!!!

Back