• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Flex pipe replacement for stock SVT?

random_rodder

CEG'er
Hi all,

I've been looking around the forum for the better part of two days trying to find info on a suitable flex pipe replacement for my stock SVT exhaust. Unfortunately, most of what I found was old enough that many links in the threads are now broken. I did find where one member stated the right ID should be 2.5". What I never did find was the approximate length of the pipe.

I found this one at Summit Racing: 2.5" ID, 6" long flex section and 10" long overall. Anyone know if this is too long? I haven't been underneath the car for several months (since I fixed my P.S. leak), but, I do know that's where the leak is coming from.

Thanks,

Brian

This is just to get me thru the winter. Next year I'm looking at a complete exhaust replacement using the most recommended items here (TruBendz Y-Pipe & dual kit, etc...)

Funny thing memory... I haven't been under the SVT since I fixed the power steering hose almost a year ago. I had some time today to do a few things, one of which was check out the flex pipe. Looks NOTHING like I remember it. Much shorter, with a flange on each end (y-pipe and converter ends), so the one I linked to would be useless to me. I'll keep looking...

Just go to rockauto.com and get the stock replacement. Its 2.5' ID. Bolts up correctly w/no leaks and no finagling. By the time you get a generic and take it somewhere to make it fit...you're at the cost of the stock replacement.

Heh... the cost isn't what concerned me. I didn't remember there being flanges on both ends of it. Funny thing is that, on Rockauto and a few other sites I've checked, they show it as fitting a a Contour with a A/T - which I assumed was an automatic trans-axle. Is it the same part for any 2.5L Contour/Mystique?

All Automatics came with the 3-bolt flex pipe while the manuals came with the 2-bolt until sometime in 99. at that point the manuals switched to the 3-bolt as well.

Back