• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Fixing SVT side skirts...?

Sa2ah

CEG'er
Hey, Just wonderign if anyone has any tips on getting the SVT side skirts to straighten out? On my car they are in good shape, But there are 2 little spots on there where they are starting to bend out a bit, in behind i noticed the little tabs came out of a slot? Any tricks to getting them back in a sitting flush with the body again? also, the little square pieces, seem to be "falling" how do i tightly secure them up tight?

To fix the jack cover first give them a squeeze and pull them off to check the tabs. Some of mine have been repaired with a paper clip and epoxy. Also check to make sure they're locking in the rear as well as the front.

I think I understand what he means.

The plastic flaps on the inside of the skirt that then go into the metal receiver riveted on the rocker panel.

I was able to carefully pull the skirt away and up to then slide the flap back into the mount. I was able to do this on several locations of the skirt.

If the fit is still too tight, then you will want to pull out the plastic fasteners in the fenders, remove the jack point cover and unscrew/unbolt the side skirt from the car. You might just have to loosen them, that way you will get enough movement to get that little flap back in the mount.

My question is along these same lines, so I didn't think it warranted starting a new thread.

I think the guy that did my exhaust tried to lift my car by the sideskirts, because they're slightly bent. The front passenger jack point cover is really hard to get on or off, and there's a slight gap between the top edge of the side skirt and the lower part of the car. The plastic flap is lined up with the metal receiver, but it doesn't want to go in.

If I pulled the skirt off, is there a good way to straighten them back out without ruining them?

My question is along these same lines, so I didn't think it warranted starting a new thread.

I think the guy that did my exhaust tried to lift my car by the sideskirts, because they're slightly bent. The front passenger jack point cover is really hard to get on or off, and there's a slight gap between the top edge of the side skirt and the lower part of the car. The plastic flap is lined up with the metal receiver, but it doesn't want to go in.

If I pulled the skirt off, is there a good way to straighten them back out without ruining them?

The skirt itself is not your problem. The rocker panel on the car is bent from jacking it up. You'll need some body work on the car before the skirt will straighten out. I recommend just removing any mounting screws in that area of the skirt. This will allow the skirt to straighten itself up and line up with the rest of the car.

Back