• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Few questions

Phoenix33

CEG'er
I've been wanting to do something to my exhaust since i bought my svt a few months back, after researching im a bit confused.

How would i go about making my exhaust sound similar to the way it does now, only louder. My dad is a mechanic so any welding we can do ourselves. Ive been trying to find mufflers that will fit right, but all of the websites ive checked dont even have the contour in their system. Im guessing i have to use generic mufflers?

Ive also read that removing the resonator makes it sound very raspy, i want to avoid this, but with two high flow mufflers at the end would removing the resonator have the same effect?

I live in the midwest so emissions are not an issue, what effect does removing the main cat have?

Just a few questions before i decide what to do, thanks

you could try to replace the factory resonator with either a straight-thru type muffler. or a glasspack. Either will be an improvement over stock in both noise and performance.

How would i go about making my exhaust sound similar to the way it does now, only louder.
You can do several things...headers...main cat removed...resonator and then mufflers....Alll these would make your car louder... But are you looking for some more power? Or just noise?

Ive also read that removing the resonator makes it sound very raspy, i want to avoid this, but with two high flow mufflers at the end would removing the resonator have the same effect?
It does if you go with a small straight through resonator. If you used a large 22 inch resonator you will be okay.

But to be on the safe side...i would recommend a magnaflow straight through muffler to replace the resonator. That will be guaranteed non rasp exhaust sound. Plus you will get some extra ponies and a bit more gas mileage increase.

You can always replace the mufflers..but to be honest...they flow just as good as flowmaster mufflers...sooo you don't really need any more flow out of them...unless you have a 3L or have a FI application.....or your just looking for noise.:cool:

Thanks for all the replys, i was wondering how it would sound if i put two of those red glass packs from advance auto on the back instead of the mufflers, dont have a lot of money at the moment so im goin the cheapo route, would this make it ridiculously loud?

Another option would be putting that magnaflow muffler where the resonator is and putting the glass packs on the back

idk im just throwin stuff out there. my probe sounded awsome with straight piping all the way back, the cat had a hole rusted through it, as did the muffler, so we put a straight pipe where the cat was and a glass pack where the muffler was, it was loud but it didnt sound like a honda, which is what i want for the contour.

I can tell you that I replaced the resonator with a straight pipe, and had the main cat removed and it gets pretty raspy if I floor the gas pedal. also I have a aftermarket ypipe so that might make a difference as well.

Thanks for all the replys, i was wondering how it would sound if i put two of those red glass packs from advance auto on the back instead of the mufflers, dont have a lot of money at the moment so im goin the cheapo route, would this make it ridiculously loud?

Another option would be putting that magnaflow muffler where the resonator is and putting the glass packs on the back

idk im just throwin stuff out there. my probe sounded awsome with straight piping all the way back, the cat had a hole rusted through it, as did the muffler, so we put a straight pipe where the cat was and a glass pack where the muffler was, it was loud but it didnt sound like a honda, which is what i want for the contour.
Actually some people removed the mufflers and installed just a pipe.:shrug:

Livinsvt had his like that...and he was the first one i ever heard of doing this..this was back in june 2004.:shrug:

Sounded goo to me....but it's not something i would do....:cool:

Cheapes--you just be to remove your main cat and resonator with straight pipe and either a 'cherry bomb' style resonator or straight-through style muffler. If thats not loud enough then change the rear mufflers. My opinion :shrug:
-J

thats what we usually did when I worked in an exhaust shop. If we needed to replace parts on an exhaust system, and the customer wanted something cheap, we would just put a glass pack in place of the resonator. Its cheap, and it would cut out the rasp.

JMO but if your dad is a decent welder, the first exhaust mod you should do is the Y- pipe optimization.

If you're just looking for louder, the 10435 is guaranteed "enhancement" for the OEM exhaust. Or, just put in a straight pipe and you should be able to outRice most Civics out there!!!

OP, I could probably sell you my used (used for 1 month) 10435 for cheaper than that. PM me your postal code .

just to clarify i need two right? i only ask because ive heard of people putting a muffler where the resonator is originally

If you're replacing the mufflers in the back you'll need two mufflers for the SVT. Search for Aero Turbine mufflers I believe and see what someone on here did that I thought sounded nice. If you're just replacing the "restrictive" resonator you just need the one straight through.

Back