• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust Problem- Rear Catalytic Convertor and Flex Pipe

nickrolando

New CEG'er
My 1999 Ford Contour SE V6's exhaust is very loud. I need a new flex pipe and a rear catalytic converter. Does anyone know the cheapest way to go about this? I just got out of college and am on a very tight budget. I am pretty good at working on cars and have a jack and jack stands and plenty of tools. Is this something I could do myself in my driveway?

My father luckily works at an auto parts store and can get me pretty good prices but I was wondering If it would be just better of getting a performance exhaust and cutting out maybe the rear convertor.

any help is appreciated

thanks,

nick

Your going to need a new donut gasket. Can be had at ford for 8-12 dollars

Why explain to me why the rear cat is bad...?

Your going to need a new donut gasket. Can be had at ford for 8-12 dollars

Why explain to me why the rear cat is bad...?

The rear cat is bad because the gasket was bad and because it was'nt fixed right away, the flange started to detorirate and now the flange is shot on the rear cat.

The flex pipe is bad because the silver metal braiding on the outside is ruined and it may have a hole in it.

What is this about a donut gasket? How will that fix the problems?

The flex

You don't need a donut gasket. The donut is used on 2 bolt y-pipes that don't have a flex pipe...it allows a little movement between the y-pipe and cat when you rev the engine. If you have a flex pipe your y-ipe is a 3 bolt...primarily used on some 99's and all 2000 contours.

Honestly...find a junk yard or 2...and pull a used one for a few dollars. If you're hell bent on new...get the cat from www.trubendz.com. Like $160 shipped...I actually just bought a high flo cat from them.

You don't need a donut gasket. The donut is used on 2 bolt y-pipes that don't have a flex pipe...it allows a little movement between the y-pipe and cat when you rev the engine. If you have a flex pipe your y-ipe is a 3 bolt...primarily used on some 99's and all 2000 contours.

Honestly...find a junk yard or 2...and pull a used one for a few dollars. If you're hell bent on new...get the cat from www.trubendz.com. Like $160 shipped...I actually just bought a high flo cat from them.

Okay you didn't state that you had an auto..so i assumed a manual. Yes you have the Mesh style flex pipe.

If the flange up front is damaged...and your father works at an auto shop, (and your tight on cash) i would have him weld the spot on the flange...or just install a new SS mesh flex pipe..($18) and gut the cat and call it a day. Cheap and would cost you next to nothing.

If you had exhaust testing. then i would do what svt dood said and get a used pipe with cat from a junkyard.

Back