• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Exhaust back pressure?

MarcMiller

Veteran CEG'er
Okay my dad took my car to an exhaust shop to look at a price range for my duals...guy said since my current pipes are still in really good shape he can use them to make a new y pipe..so hes going to remove my stock resonator and the muffler and weld another pipe into where it turnes and then stick 2 new mufflers there..also going to add the tips.

Not a bad price either...:laugh:

Now he said me putting on this exhaust will lower the back pressure of my exhaust and if im looking to get alittle sound out of it to get turbo mufflers.....now does magnaflow make a performance "turbo" mufflers to keep the back pressure there to keep the sound healthy?

Just to make sure i know what the guy is talking about.
ALSO...whats the best lenth to go up in my current bumper to make slots for my new exhaust...i like that look alot better.

The fact that there is an exhaust on it at all means it has plenty of "back pressure."

Larger diameter pipes will slow the exhaust velocity, so the engine has to push it out instead of the air current PULLING it out of the engine. Velocity doesn't suffer unless you get well over 2.5" diameter pipe on an N/A Duratec.

But since you're using stock pipes, yeah - noise is all you're going to get out of it.

The fact that there is an exhaust on it at all means it has plenty of "back pressure."

Larger diameter pipes will slow the exhaust velocity, so the engine has to push it out instead of the air current PULLING it out of the engine. Velocity doesn't suffer unless you get well over 2.5" diameter pipe on an N/A Duratec.

But since you're using stock pipes, yeah - noise is all you're going to get out of it.
okay but with the turbo muffler...magnaflow makes different types of mufflers?

okay but with the turbo muffler...magnaflow makes different types of mufflers?
Marc:
Glad you found a god local shop to work with, it is good to find.
Let me know if you are still interested in those nice low-mile SVT mufflers/hangers/tips I have. They should be easier to fit and cheaper than nice SS aftermarket mufflers.
Either way, good luck.
-J

"Turbo" mufflers are usually a straight-through design, and sound pretty crappy.

Sorry andy...don't take offense. Turbo mufflers are no straight through design. And they hardly flow better then stock.

G_20435G_CL_1.jpg

Turbo mufflers are a hold over from ancient history. The Chevrolet Corvair had a turbo option and that option included mufflers with larger pipe connections and a higher flow rate, meant to handle the increased flow from the boosted engine.

Suddenly it became a popular for V8 engines with dual exhaust. It really didn't do much for such applications other than raising the noise level. Since it is a smaller muffler meant for higher flow, it may have provided a marginal increase in power, but mostly it provided more tone.

Today's "turbo" mufflers are just a caryover from then.

so i should just stick with a magnaflow muffler...will i get some good sound even if i keep my current pipes? make a custom y pipe and add 2 new mufflers and remove my stock resonator..what do you think?

or leave the resonator alone and run no mufflers like I did :cool: thought you where getting a SVT system :shrug: Also keep in mind that most aftermarket exhaust is just aluminized steel and while rust in about 2-3 years if your lucky

or leave the resonator alone and run no mufflers like I did :cool: thought you where getting a SVT system :shrug: Also keep in mind that most aftermarket exhaust is just aluminized steel and while rust in about 2-3 years if your lucky

Im keeping my current pipes because theyre in good condition..just like getting a svt exhaust..im paying the same price i would pay for that but im getting magnaflow mufflers and removing my resonator.

aluminized should last more like 5-8 or more. I had aluminized exhaust on my pre98 for 3 years and it still looked perfect except for some minor surface rust just starting at the weld points.

aluminized should last more like 5-8 or more. I had aluminized exhaust on my pre98 for 3 years and it still looked perfect except for some minor surface rust just starting at the weld points.
you don't live in salt country:fry: I have been hanging exhaust in New York for about 18 years and the average system last about 2/3 years here although PA. may be a little better:shrug:

you don't live in salt country:fry: I have been hanging exhaust in New York for about 18 years and the average system last about 2/3 years here although PA. may be a little better:shrug:
actually, I live where they brine the roads when they even think that it might flurry. plus the extra they put down when it does. for a region that doesnt get much snow, we go through a hell of a lot of salt, and since most of it isnt actually doing anything, it ends up on our cars instead.

We have salt and gravel on the roads 4-5 months out of every year, and most driving I do is out on highways for long drives at speeds high enough to coat the undercarriage of my car with the slush and salt from the roads.

Aluminized exhaust lasts 5-6 years around here. OEM stainless steel systems last 10-12 years. Even good aftermarket stainless steel lasts only 10-15 years.

Aluminized exhaust is pretty good stuff, especially for the cost.

Back