• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine starts no problem but dies right away.

glsaved

CEG'er
Zetec with ATM, CD4E.

Unless I hold down the gas to keep it running, keeps dieing.Check engine light stays on.

I just replaced the head gasket, the timing belt is correctly set, and it seems like it holds vacuum, based on the fact that when I pull the vacuum tube off the brake booster, you can hear the vacuum pressure equalise, plus when I put a vacuum on that tube, it is holding.

Fuel pressure holds about 30 psi, and the injector resistance is like 14.5, within the haynes manual specs.
All hoses and electrical connections seem alright.
Compression test shows around 100 PSI on each cylinder when cranked for a coupld seconds.

Now when I first got this car, it was hard to start but stayed running once it got going, needed a head gasket, I did that, but now this problem.

I am about lost at this point thanks for any help.

hmm. A possiblility is your IAC (idle air control) valve

The enigne will NOT idle with the valve disconnected or if its stuck closed.

You need to check your codes if the check engine light is on. That will point u in the right direction. If u get a code about the IAC valve, then that will probably fix your problem.

Yeah if Autozone has a scanner in their loan-a-tool programs, I am gonna have to do that. I can't really drive it anywhere.

Autozone will scan the codes for you for free.

Usually the only codes they can bring up are engine and transmission codes. (in our cars, the engine computer also controls the trans, so trans codes are in the same place. Where as some other cars have a separate trans computer)

Make sure that valve is connected ok and the wiring to it is in good shape before you decide to replace it if that turns out to be the problem

ALSO: if your EGR valve is stuck open, the car won't idle correctly either. so an egr could cause it instead of the IAC

turns out I had switched a couple vacuum hoses. the EGR and fuel pressure regulator hoses had mixed up, thereby keeping the EGR open all the time.

One problem with the contour solved, only 49 to go.

Back