• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine mounts and ignition coil questions for Duratec

There have been numerous posts in the past about Bosch +4 plugs having premature wear on the rear bank of our engines. You can accept the testimony of fellow CEGers or not, it all depends on if you want to learn from others or not.

The issue seems to be that the +4 concept doesn't work well on the reverse polarity of waste fire ignitions. They may work well enough on the normal polarity cylinders, but certainly not better than.

Personally, I don't much care for Bosch as a company. They come across as arrogant. They act like they never make a mistake. They are impossible to deal with over warranty issues. Their "conventional" platinum plug with the ceramic portion of the tip protruding nearly to the tip of the center wire doesn't work well on a lot of engines, serving as a collection point for deposits that lead to plug fouling/shorting.

That being said, I won't let that cloud my mind over the +4 issues. I know it doesn't work on waste fire ignition systems because of what I have found when I have removed them after about 15,000 to 20,000 miles.

^This.

I also have dyno sheets to prove that autolites do just fine in stock/hci combo not to mention everyone I know using them in blown apps. If you are using +4s with no issues then more power to you. IMO it is a waste of money, Bosch as a company definitely IS super arrogant as mentioned and not being able to gap a plug I'm putting into my engine = no.

Well you can say what you want but they have proven to work outstanding on both my Camaro and my SVT... and I have dyno sheets to prove it :shrug:

I think you mis-used the word proof. Just because your cars run and sat on a dyno doesnt mean the plugs are great. They simply arent designed to run on a spark system like our car uses which is why people get the problems on one bank before the other.

also ditch those plugs you have and get motorcraft or autolite double platinum plugs.

I ran E3's in my 2.5 before it spun a rod bearing and they worked great. Like Big Jim said though, there have been numerous postings and stuff, one of which was mine on the E3's. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with E3's and they really aren't that expensive so in my opinion they are a decent plug. You have to just have to read peoples feedbacks on the forum and decide for yourself. If I say I have had great success with them and someone else says they had them and they suck, okay maybe you don't want to go that direction. But someone's review really only matters if they have used the product.

If you have the E3's I say just stick with those but if you feel uncomfortable with them look at the numbers...everyone has been using double plats with great success so it seems like a really good route to go.

I ran the +4's a few years ago when they first came out. The Cougar had a few misses here and there so I returned them and went with the Autolite. I've always stuck with the Autolite APP104's since on every Contour/Cougar.

My S4 came with NGK +4 plugs from the factory oddly enough. I swapped in a set of NGK iridiums becuase the +4's had a lot of miles on them. The iridiums work great but they are spendy.

Back