• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine bay cleaners?

It does work great. My motor was filthy in dust and crap before, and it looks brand new. Best mod I've ever done for $5.

A long time ago, my high school science teacher did an experiment in front of the class. He blew up a balloon and tied it off, then sprayed just a little WD-40 on it. After a couple minutes, the balloon popped. Since then I've shown the trick to other people who used to use WD-40 for everything.

you know what WD-40 stands for? "Water Displacement on the 40Th try". originally used for spraying down bombs and such on military air plains so condensation would not seize them up in the bomb bay.

Do you hose down the engine bay again AFTER the foaming tire cleaner ???

Nope. Just go for a drive like it says. My engine is still shiny even after a few months. Granted, dirt and crap got stuck to the surface, but it's still shiny.

i have to agree with BK on this one, Simple Green Automotive, rinse, spray down with CD2, let sit for about 10 minutes, run engine for 10 minutes and you will get results like this:
jeff-dirty.jpg

jeff-clean.jpg

When you use the tire cleaning foam. Do you spray it on the engine and then start it and let it run for 30 mins or am I supose to spray it, then wipe it down and then run the car for 30 mins?

I followed the guide exactly, which meant I spraid on the citrus gunk stuff, left it for 15 minutes, rinsed it off with a 2litre full of water, then sprayed on the tyre foam and ran the car for 30 minutes.

Dont use your air while its running. Smells kind of funky :p

Turned out looking very nice!

May be a stupid question, but do you hose off the engine with it off?

I would think something like that would be common sense, but YES! Throwing water into the intake of a running engine is all sorts of bad. You should be covering the intake with a bag or something to keep the water out. Not to mention that prolonged contact with cold water could damage a hot engine. I don't even like the idea of spraying down a warm engine. Some detailers would also argue that a warm engine would evaporate the cleaners too quickly.

Cold engine cleaning only..Nuff said..
I went to spray some clean on my header on my old focus it was a SS header Bad idea. it spotted the heck out of it..I could barely polish it back to life..

Get the engine a little warm. Spray simple green all over (soak it), and let it sit for 10 min. The spray down with a hose with a pressure nozzle. wipe it down dry.

Back