• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Duratec 2.0/2.3

Wetworth

CEG'er
I hate starting a post for this, I'm sure there's already one here somewhere, but I can't for the life of me find one. I guess because Duratec 2.0 is a mash of Zetec 2.0 and Duratec 2.5 :rolleyes: Anyhoo...

Simple question is "will one fit?". Simple explanation is "more power than Zetec, lighter than 3.0".

I'm such a mechanic noob, it just seems to me that IF they're the same engine family as the 2.5/3.0's it shouldn't be a nightmare. Of course, maybe Ford just slaps the name on any engine willy-nilly? :crazy:

(I'm attached to this car; its a project. I have a daily driver so there's no time limits if it's expensive/involved)

A SMALL number of Focus owners have swapped a Duratec 4-cylinder into their Zetec cars. You'd be better off searching over there.

I'd guess it's a nightmare on anything other than a Focus, since you can switch ECUs easily from Focus to Focus, but not necessarily from Focus to Contour...

well since he has a Zetec running a 4cylinder from the PCM already setup for a Zetec shouldnt be that hard.

however, the D23 is not a mash up of Zetec and Duratec, but it does still use the MTX75 and the same bellhousing pattern as the Zetec. mounting points on the engine side are different so that would take some fabrication as well as you are going to need a custom oil pan to clear the subframe. also, its not that much lighter as the Zetec only weighs about 250lbs anyways. you would be much better off spending the money that it would take to get the engine and get it mounted and running on building a turbo setup for the Zetec and making 200-250WHP.

Ah, I ment the name is a combination of the two engines that came in the Contour, making the search "Duratec 2.0" pretty useless. Ford racing says the shipping weight of a Zetec is 420lbs. I was under the impression that the 2.5 weiged 460ish, the Zetec 400ish and the Duratec 20 220. Theses were numbers i've found in various places, but I haven't verified anything.

the D25/30 is 360ish, the Zetec is 250ish, and the D20/23 is 220ish.

shipping weight for the Zetec is about 370 but that includes the crate or other shipping container.

Hmm. I didn't think the shipping crate would weigh that much. Not really that appealing if those weighs are accurate. I could loose the AC and make up most of the difference. I figured the aluminum block would save more weight than that.

wood shipping crates are quite heavy. I know i could pick up and move around a Zetec short block by myself, that was block/crank/pistons. the head with cams doesnt weigh much either.

Well, maybe I'll just aim to be the first with a 500hp Zetec :crazy: (I suspect 250hp is a reasonable goal).

well I have already hit 200WHP/220WTQ with a turbo Zetec in a Contour. I know it was more before it blew since i was up to about 13PSI instead of the 10PSI the dyno was done with.

I'd hazard a guess that the Focus ECU would never work in a Contour. They didn't even start making Duratec Focus' until 2003.

I was saying to use the Zetec PCM. since the D20/23 is a 4 cylinder it shouldnt be that hard to do. connectors will be different and likely in different locations but thats just basic wiring. you could pretty easily use the stock Zetec ignition and fuel setups. :shrug:

Back