• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Droning and a cure

dgproctor73

CEG'er
Okay I read the entire thread on, " Will I loose power with a gutted CC?"
When my wife and I purchased our 98.5 SE it has a gutted cat. Well I had my local exhaust shop cut the resonator out, and weld in straight pipe (otherwise completely stock exhaust). I've noticed droning at different intervals.
Is there a way to fix this without dropping a ton of coin (maybe new muffler, as old one is a rattling)? Other than the droning the car does have a throaty (deeper tone) which I like. I'd love to replace the exhaust, but money talks, and BS walks. Unfortunately have lots of the later.
After reading that entire thread and all the crap in it, I'm still left wondering.
We've had our fair share of things go south, but could my exhaust be a gateway to future problems!?
I've been working the wife over, and think I have her talked into the BAT Euro kit, and a set of Euro SVT wheels come tax time. Or would I be better off investing in frankin exhaust!?:shrug:

umm...you removed your resonator.....and drone came. Hmm let me think. Put the resonator back on or order an after market magnaflow resonator. Then you will be happy. :)

Any idea where and a guestiment of cost (summit)

if your asking that then...put the old resonator back on :laugh:
Just kidding.

Maganaflow around 60 dollars shipped. Cost to put it on...anywhere from 20-80 dollars.

Cheap cherry bomb...that i don't think will fix your problems...because you have drone not rasp...15-20 dollars walmart and meijer.

Your removal was a bad idea....i would put an after market back on or your stock resonator if you have no money. :shrug:

meh, just make your own muffler... here's how

1. buy 22'' pipe
2. buy fabric softener sheets and scotch brite pads (5 maybe 6)
3. take 22'' pipe and hold with left hand
4. using your right hand, jam all that down in there
5. place your new home made muffler in position
6. use LOTS of Krazy glue and duct tape to keep it in position

see it's not that hard... and i PROMISE it will be even BETTER than one of those magnaflow POS's... :rolleyes:

i think harry has a FULL write up about this mod somwhere... :shrug:

-mac

Thanks for ALL the ideas. Just went with a new/used exhaust and problem solved (TruBendz SS w/ Magnaflows). Sounds sweet and cured several other issues that were rearing their collective heads.

Back