• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Driver's door window rattle

AGrayson84

CEG'er
Hey folks! My '98 has a little bit glass rattle when I shut the driver's door. The other doors don't do this (likely because they haven't been open and shut nearly as many times). I'll occasionally hear a little bit of rattle when hitting pot holes, but it's usually just when I shut the door. Not too loud, just annoying to me.

I haven't taken the interior panel off to look at how the glass is secured but I assume it is something that someone with mechanical abilities like myself should be able to repair one way or another. I did some searching on the forum and didn't really see anyone else describing this. Does anyone know what I might need to do to resolve this? Thanks!

Mine does it too. I noticed when I took my door panel off the foam block in the door had come loose and was the main offender. I chucked it, and the rattle got better, but not 100% fixed. I am thinking it may be the door panel, but I haven't ruled out the window.

Thanks for the response! I'll have to check out this foam block soon. I noticed that if I use my hand to put pressure on the glass while shutting the door the glass does not rattle. It sounds nice and "tight" when shutting the door, just like the rest of the doors. Definitely something allowing play somewhere. Maybe tomorrow if I get bored I'll take a look and definitely let you know what I find.

I have this issue in my Lightning. I'm pretty sure the power window regulator assembly is lose and/or worn out. I need to pick up a replacement from Rockauto

at the "seam" of the window. where the window dissapears when you roll it down there are rubber and plastic strips on either side of the window. if its missing that can give it rattle room.

I have this issue in my Lightning. I'm pretty sure the power window regulator assembly is lose and/or worn out. I need to pick up a replacement from Rockauto

Hmmm I'll have to check that out too. The window definitely goes up and down quicker than the other 3 windows, so I'm thinking it may have already been replaced at some point but I'll definitely check that out. Thanks!!

at the "seam" of the window. where the window dissapears when you roll it down there are rubber and plastic strips on either side of the window. if its missing that can give it rattle room.

Thanks! Are you talking about the exterior trim that just easily pops off from both the exterior and interior of the door? The ones that run across the full width (horizontally) of the window? If so, I have both pieces there. Sounds to me like it's something further down in the door that has the play based on where I think I hear the sound coming from.

Didn't get a chance to look at this on Sunday, and we have rain for the next few days here so might not be able to look until this-coming weekend now.

Back