• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Does anyone know how to pass smog with MSDS Headers?

There was a very recent thread about passing smog with a 3L with headers in this section that discusses this very issue. Typically the visual inspection is not a stringent as it used to be and our cars do not really draw the attention of some other cars that are well know for mods (Mustangs, Hondas, etc) so we seem to be able to get away with more.

Just make sure you run your car for at least a half hour before going to the station to warm your cats and passing smog should not be a problem.

My assumption is that only Turbo cars are going to have a problem with a visual inspection. Ary, have you had to go and re-smog since the turbo was added?

Heat up the main cat really well and you will pass the sniffer. Visual could be a problem, but since they're tucked so low on the engine, I've found that they can be overlooked - just make sure everything else looks stock (airbox, etc).

you cant really even see the headers unless youre really looking for them. i wouldnt even worry about an air filter.

Back