• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

does a dmd add HP?

montrese04

Veteran CEG'er
does a dmd aid in hp gains? I was reading some sight that stated HP gains with a dmd. I thought these things just helped reduce vibration:shrug:

If anything, it would do just the opposite, as it's much heavier than the stock crank damper...

i don't totally agree, it is heavier but not by very much at all. i've had one on both my svts and did not notice any difference better or worse. if anything i only noticed that my steering wheel doesn't vibrate close to as much as it used too, and also throughout the rev range, its smoother.

i don't totally agree, it is heavier but not by very much at all. i've had one on both my svts and did not notice any difference better or worse. if anything i only noticed that my steering wheel doesn't vibrate close to as much as it used too, and also throughout the rev range, its smoother.

He was just saying that if it were going to do anything, it would cause you to lose horsepower, not that it did. All a DMD does is add to reliable engine life.

He was just saying that if it were going to do anything, it would cause you to lose horsepower, not that it did. All a DMD does is add to reliable engine life.

i wasn't saying he was wrong and neither are you. actually your very right. i'm not arguing here. it increases engine longevity like you said. but again as far as weight, from my expierience, i have not noticed any loss in power due to it being slightly heavier. i can also understand where hes coming from, sounds like it should make you lose HP, but i never noticed it at all, and i have had a DMD installed on both my svt's.

does a dmd aid in hp gains? I was reading some sight that stated HP gains with a dmd. I thought these things just helped reduce vibration:shrug:

In theory, yes. The DMD is dampening vibrations that can interfere with smooth power delivery. In reality, my recollection is that dyno runs say "Nope, no increased output with this mod." It could be that the DMD does help boost power output but the percentage increase is so low that it is not detectable given the power values these Duratecs produce.

thanks for confirming this guys. still trying to decide if i want to be young and fast with a UDP or be safe and steady with a DMD lol. i guess why not go with both of them and when i want to be fast it's not that hard to change:shrug: lmfao

i guess why not go with both of them and when i want to be fast it's not that hard to change:shrug: lmfao

you could always go for the fluid dampr. IIRC it weighs less than the DMD and smoothes out vibration throughout the rev. range.... G.

Last edited:
The fluid damper is heavier and costs twice as much...
might be a moot point ... i just checked the web site and i don't see duratec ... may have moved on !! Shame really; 'cos they make a streetdampr, which is cheaper and may have attracted new business ...G.

Last edited:
might be a moot point ... i just checked the web site and i don't see duratec ... may have moved on !! Shame really; 'cos they make a streetdampr, which is cheaper and may have attracted new business ...G.
Not so... you just have to search correctly ;)

The Fluidampr was developed for the Mazda 6 3.0L platform. We know there's no crank difference, so that it works for all 3.0L's... but Fluidampr hasn't included that info on their site.

The listing at summit (not sure if it's the best price... can't remember where I got mine)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLU-571001/

And the page at Fluidampr...
http://www.fluidampr.com/MAZDA.html

Not so... you just have to search correctly ;)

:blackeye: should've remembered that.

Thanks for finding the info. I still didn't find the weight. Did notice it's 10% under drive ... so what you lose in weight, you gain in under driving the accessories maybe. ...G.

it was the fluida site that had improvement in HP actually. couldn't remember the name until you all just brought it back up. i sort of "browsed" their site a sec ago but didn't see where it said it. But i do know for a fact that at one point in time it did have that it improved HP.

Back