• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dead car

Hurrycane

CEG'er
So I disconnected the battery while working on the car. I'm waiting for a new blower motor switch connector, so I have the radio and the blower disconnected. (No point in buttoning things back up until I get the switch connector installed.) Reconnected the battery and turned the key. Panel lights came on as usual, but not a sound from the ignition or starter, and the key won't come out.
This car is so much fun . . . .

Craig

New wrinkle. The car starts fine in neutral, but I can't get it into park. Had this problem once before; the fix was replacing #23 fuse, which the owner's manual says controls the backup lights. (Go figure.) So the fuse is good, and just to be sure I put the car in reverse and checked the backup lights, which are working fine.

There is an orange two-wire connector hanging down from under the dash that appears to belong somewhere around the shifter. I don't recall removing it, but I've been pulling a lot of plugs the last day or two. One orange wire, one black. What does that one go to?

While I was checking connectors earlier, the wipers started working correctly, i.e., returning to the down position when switched off and operating intermittently when they're supposed to. An accidental fix.

Craig

Back