• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash removal how to? Or any advice?

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
As with most people my dash is warped. It got to the point to where the previous owner had to screw it back down so it is beyond saving now. Also the defroster is horrible in the winter and I NEED to have a good defroster in the winter.

Pic of it from when I got it, its pretty much the same now:
b5bd_3.jpg

Going to be installing this bad boy, or at least trying.

Dashboard2.jpg

As you can see it has a fix kit installed on it that is solid plastic and will not warp. I haven't seen one like that before but it is definitely a contour dash and the seller told me it is from a 98.5 E1 so I should be good to go. I MIGHT hit it with some interior paint because it is a little faded compared to my interior but I need to get it side by side in the same light to compare...

I'm hoping this is an 8 hour or so job that I can knock out in a morning/afternoon but my gut tells me all weekend... Waiting till it warms up a bit more though.

The passenger vent looks like the 98+, but the defroster vent looks like the pre98

That is exactly what it is. You will need to find an airbag cover for the replacement dash because the one on your original dash is the wrong shape. 99-2000 dash's are different from the 95-98.5.

The Dash removal isn't nearly as hard as people make it seem. there is even a write up on it somewhere. I searched and found it. Basically disconnect the negative wait a few minutes disconnect the positive. The remove the kick panel under the steering wheel, the center consoles, and the glove box.

From there just slowly start taking pieces of trim out on by one, and dont brake the tabs. once it's disconnected from all the harnesses there re a couple or torx screws so make sure you have the right kind of torx bit

Yeah you can see in the pic how that 98.5 dash would not warp. The defroster vent is hard plastic. The one on my 2000 is just the dash material and up it came. Stupid Ford... I'll PM svttour and see what he has. I posted a want ad in the classifieds and I suppose I'll start looking around the evilbay.

Fords Dash warp fix how-to. It also outlines how to remove the dash.

Attachments

• Ford- Contour dash fix.pdf
    317.3 KB · Views: 0
Hey that dash warp fix document is great. Goes as far as unbolting but anyone have any good advice on disconnecting the wiring and ducting so as not to break anything? If the instrument panel and hvac is anything like my cobra that will take all of 15 minutes for those things. I'm more worried about some nasty surprise that I'm not expecting to mess up my wiring harness or crack an air duct or something...

And woot svttour DID have the cover I needed so kudos to him. So now as long as the color is pretty close(should be) I can get to installing this thing. Can't imagine it would take too long... Lol famous last words. I'm hoping for this job to take an afternoon and no more than 6 beers.

Hi,

Bringing an oldie back to today's time, hehe:

Do i have to go through this pdf in a couple of posts above to fix:

These first two pics show the whole assembly with only...
8x1s14.jpg

rm3ccw.jpg

this as the problem on my car's dash...:
2hh3s0h.jpg

2drc1vl.jpg

to fix ^ that?

Dacker mentioned that this looks like it is a fixed dash but the problem is right on the above the gauges that is popping up but it is sturdy there, not rotten material or foam.

Key facts, this is a 98 #1190.

Thanks for all suggestions.:laugh:

Back to this topic, i am not sure i am finding the fix kit for less than $200 online...is that possible? wow

Anyone care to chime in on how they fixed the above the gauges problem w/o the fix kit???

Thanks!

Jeez back from the dead. I never did get the dash swapped. I got deployed in the summer until December and no way am I trying this in the freezing cold. As for that above fix... the pdf file tells you how to do that. If the fix kit is the only way then its the only way... I may have to do that fix also as the dash I'm putting in is that same style but no warpage yet. Ugh I have so much to do to this car still... and that's AFTER I get my Cobra's computer re-tuned.

Back from the not so distant past, and question:

If any of you who did pick up the dash warp kit from Ford or so, or does anyone know or can give info on the sizes the rivets that are used for the cluster dash fix section?

That's the only concern on my dash, as pictures will tell from previous posts, and i am not sure the pricing on teamfordparts is actually appealing...$220 or so...

Please let me know if you all have any insights on this.

Thanks!

Back