• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Dash Board

JYBIRDcontour00

New CEG'er
I have seen several pictures of contours with dash boards that are the same color as the outside of the car. Did they make cars like this or did people actually paint the dash that way. I have a 2000 SE and i want to paint all of the black on the dash (except air vents, and other small spots) the same color as the outside of the car.

Any body got any tips for this idea, maybe a picture or two if youve done it, That would help out alot, Thanks...

I took out the inserts in the door armrest handles, the center council, the passenger side air vent, display council, door handle back consealer and sanded them with a very fine grit sand paper, put 70% iso alcohol to strip all the armerall oils off, sanded again with same light sand paper, a VERY LIGHT WIPEOVER of turpentine, then painted it ford racing green which is a light green then the pacific green the car is. I applied a very light coat first then let it dry, light sanded then blew it off w/ an air hose and then applied another light coate. I followed the same pattern for a total of 4 coats and then let it air dry for 48hrs, and installed it. I'm gonna go take a pic of it now and post so you can see what it looks like. the paint i used was a engine paint that was advertised to hold up to 400 degree temps, this was done to avoid sun fading. and it works well. the car is dusty but when dash is completely cleaned even the vent louvers are green, I did think about doing the inside of the vents black to go with the pacific green on black rims but desided less is more.

Attachments

• green.jpg
    green.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 0
  • green2.jpg
    green2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
  • green3.jpg
    green3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 0
  • green4.jpg
    green4.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 0
  • green5.jpg
    green5.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That looks great!! The pictures really help... my contour is pacific green too, i plan on keeping the air vents black and the security light in the middle that i have black too. Thanks alot!!!

center council, display council

not to be a jerk, but seriously, have you ever looked at that and thought what a center council is?

coun·cil
–noun
1. an assembly of persons summoned or convened for consultation, deliberation, or advice.

con·sole
–noun
8. Automotive. a tray or container typically divided into compartments, mounted between bucket seats, and used for storing small items.

not to be a jerk, but seriously, have you ever looked at that and thought what a center council is?

coun·cil
–noun
1. an assembly of persons summoned or convened for consultation, deliberation, or advice.

con·sole
–noun
8. Automotive. a tray or container typically divided into compartments, mounted between bucket seats, and used for storing small items.

you have too much free time on your hands.

English wasn't my major, Aerospace Avionics Electrician was. all that said you understood what I was getting at, so I don't see why it had to be a big deal.:shrug:

Back