• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coolant Leak... Mystery source above trans?!

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys,

I apparently just sprung a fairly hefty coolant leak. It's all over the top of the trans, in big puddles, and seems to be coming fast (half a resevoir in 2 days). I've checked ALL the larger hoses there, nothing is wet. The only wet hose I found is a 3/4" 90-degree elbow directly below the throttle cable bracket (above the starter). It connects to a black metal pipe on one side, and a connector with another hose coming out of it on the other. The bottom side of the bend is wet, but I can't determine if it's coolant; also, although it's high enough up (and far enough back) to explain the runoff on the trans bellhousing, I couldn't see it drip while I was running the engine.

Does anyone know what gets routed through this setup? Has anyone had it fail? Where else that high on the engine could I be leaking?

Yup, all bone-dry. This was the only one I could find that was even remotely wet. It runs right in front of where you'd tap the block to install a sender for an oil pressure gauge. The seal just below it on the block had some dampness too, but I couldn't find any on the surrounding (peak) area. Mighta burned off the starter, too.

I'm close to just calling Bill and getting that hose, but I want to make sure it's even for coolant first. It looked like it might run to the heater core.

Edit: Clicked the link. Wasn't wet under the housing. Also, there was trace amounts of coolant running up the side of the tranny bellhousing.

I'm beginning to suspect a water pump shaft seal.

If you've changed out the WP to one with a metal impeller, some of those units have been known to have faulty seals.

Last edited:
Any traceable way to find that out? I'm doing some disassembly after work today. Considering it's my only night to fix the problem for 2 weeks, I'd better figure something out.

Also, with the engine running (but pretty cold), we couldn't see a leak anywhere; which sort of leads me to believe it's happening when the thermostat opens. Since I'll have heavier driving to do tonight, I cleaned up the suspect area... let's see if it gets wet again. I'll keep you all posted.

Found it!

The upper rad hose (which is fairly complex, btw) was leaking right at the pipe outlet that connects it to the block. Why? The Ford clamp had ROTTED THROUGH on one side, and lost almost all tension. The reason I didn't see anything when the engine was cold (I think) was that it needed to get hot enough to build pressure and force the coolant out past the edge of the flange. The reason that hose wasn't wet was that it didn't leak or drip out, it sprayed out all over the starter and onto the bellhousing (the starter burned all fluid off immediately). I know this because I saw it happen :p . When I took the Ford clamp off, it actually sheared in half. It had rusted all the way through on the bottom. So, a new hose clamp, and I'm good to go!

That's exactly why he needs to hurry up and fix it. That leak must be massive by now.. :)

you need to take care of that coolant leak or it will :censored::censored::censored::censored: ur trans up and short it out

04apr23-awesome-fail.jpg

Good one! :) Right now i am trying to replace the seal between the block and the thermostat housing. The old seal was all effed up, so that explains the leak. However, Autozone sold me a PART #35284 - a dURALAST seal and while it looks like the old one, mostly (since the old one is really messed up), I thought it would fit, but it seems to be just a tiny bit bigger than the opening on the Thermostat housing. Seems like it's the wrong size..........Now my car is taken apart and I'm gonna have to ride my darn bike to the store!!

Back