• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cold Air Intake VS Short Air Intake

Dimarubio

New CEG'er
Cold Air Intake VS Short Air Intake

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Which of the intakes in the picture is better?? Wich got more horse power and improvement the aceleration? I´m readed much forums and there are 50%-50% of views.I know our cougars gets very hot under the hood. Now i have installed in my cougar the short ram with the mushroom filter but, i have the parts to convert it into the cold air intake. I dont know wich is better and so i asking it here. Someone test both air intakes on the dyno? Please answer me the people who tested the both in his cougar, or know very much about this.
I hace mercury Cougar.
Thanks from Spain

Def first one...you will get a lot of heat soak with the short ram air style unless you have a heat shield.

First. When i swapped my short ram for a true cold air, i noticed it ALOT. Especially after romping around a while, it never loses it "umph" like it did with the short ram. Its hard to believe that it makes that big a difference but it really does, and its very noticeable.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the short ram intake looses power when compared to a stock SVT intake. Especially on a hot summer day. Not to mention how ghetto they look.

Can I just add that if you install a BAT short intake with K&N filter make sure there is clearance from the hood. Seems when I went way over the speed limit..the filter started rubbing
on the underside of my new hood. Luckily I found it before it caused major damage to hood or the filter...ouch...

The first pic - CAI are almost always better than SRI. That said, installing a heat shield (like the pudmonkey designed one) with an SRI is happy medium. I've got one with my (overpriced) SRI from Weapon-R and it seems to work really well. Had it on for about a week now and have abused the heck outta the car and I've not come across a single heat related issue yet.

But I do agree with everyone else - a CAI as show in the first image is the best solution, if you have the time, skill and patients to install it.

Back