• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clearance for Rear Wheels

CRG is correct I do not rub at all running 5mm spacers all around on 215/45/17 FSVT's....i run no front wheel liners and at full lock the tire is literally less than 1mm from the fender but it doesnt touch at all. And my rears arent rolled either, fronts have a very minimal roll. Funny thing is, with my D2's....I can drop my car another 8 inches or so :) Although I only have about an inch-1.5in until my skirts on the ground :p

Looks good slammed though! I have no problems this low with speedbumps or anything....just gotta angle it good and go sloowwwwww

Did the Eibach's rub all over, or just in the rear? If it was the latter, I'm sure you're not rubbing because the H&R's don't have the ass sag of the Eibach's.

just in the rear with 225 tires. then it was only over bumps and sometimes on hard acceleration and while cornering. also the H&R's don't lower the rear as much as eibach springs do either. the opposite goes for the front also.

CRG is correct I do not rub at all running 5mm spacers all around on 215/45/17 FSVT's....i run no front wheel liners and at full lock the tire is literally less than 1mm from the fender but it doesnt touch at all. And my rears arent rolled either, fronts have a very minimal roll. Funny thing is, with my D2's....I can drop my car another 8 inches or so :) Although I only have about an inch-1.5in until my skirts on the ground :p

Looks good slammed though! I have no problems this low with speedbumps or anything....just gotta angle it good and go sloowwwwww

That's what makes me feel better hahaha

245/40/17 on the front dont rub, and 245/45/17 on the rear dont rub, anymore. ive got a couple videos from some events where they did rub though.

I understand getting a wider track on a car to improve handling, but why space a wheel out 3-5mm (less than a half inch total) and still only run a 225 tire?

Well I could've sworn that the Cougars have more space under the fenders than the Contours, especially with that statement right there. I'm pretty sure no Contour could fit that. I'm not sure what fender work you've done though, but even so, a Contour wouldn't be able to fit that without fender flares or some extreme fender work.

And my track wheels will have 235/40/17 on the front and 215/45/17 on the rear.

Those are my street tire. And I was just experimenting to see how wide I could go and to achieve a more "flush" look. Right now, on my street setup, I'm 8mm wider on both sides on the front, so effectively a 16mm wider track in the front. I'm also 6mm wider overall in the rear (3mm on each side). I'm pretty sure I could fit the spacers that are on the back to the front. I am a good enough driver to notice the change.

just in the rear with 225 tires. then it was only over bumps and sometimes on hard acceleration and while cornering. also the H&R's don't lower the rear as much as eibach springs do either. the opposite goes for the front also.

Yup I know that :). I was gonna say that in my post, but then got rushed out of the house lol.

Ah yes, that is true. I remember reading that. I don't think I could run my car at only a 1/4" lower than stock. I would feel silly and it would look goofy, even with the handling benefits.

Got a alignment today and they said its pretty much in spec. camber is a little out of whack on front pass. I also raised the back since it settled a little bit. I looks like the picture now with 1/2" rake from the front of the skirt to the back of the skirt. The alignment guy let me put it on and take it off the ramp. It put my mind at ease.

Now i have to figure out this intermittent vibration/knock coming from the lower engine bay. Doesnt sound like rod knock. Just randomly appeared on the way home from the shop.

Got a alignment today and they said its pretty much in spec. camber is a little out of whack on front pass. I also raised the back since it settled a little bit. I looks like the picture now with 1/2" rake from the front of the skirt to the back of the skirt. The alignment guy let me put it on and take it off the ramp. It put my mind at ease.

Now i have to figure out this intermittent vibration/knock coming from the lower engine bay. Doesnt sound like rod knock. Just randomly appeared on the way home from the shop.

better not be a rod knock... bolt mightve come loose. jus isolate the sound. where did u take it to anyway evan? there are only a couple of places in vegas that actualy touch lowered cars.

Ah yes, that is true. I remember reading that. I don't think I could run my car at only a 1/4" lower than stock. I would feel silly and it would look goofy, even with the handling benefits.
no fender work yet and the tires stick out past the fenders a bit. i honestly am not sure where i am from stock height, its been so long since ive measured stock height, but there is only a half inch or so from the top of the d2's in the front.

not wanting to ride "high" because of a look vs. loosing performance is backwards i think

Oh yeah I remember now from the pics from before.

See I couldn't (and frankly wouldn't) run tires that wide since I don't autocross and don't have any plans too (Also, I don't have as much power as you so those kind of tires would be overkill). I like circuit racing much better. 235's and 215's will suffice on track and help balance handling. Also, the fact that I don't have coilovers right now means that they would rub like crazy what with the softer spring rates and the height I'm currently at.

I wouldn't run only a 1/4" lower than stock, even with coilovers. It has a higher centre of gravity (my performance side talking and yes every little bit counts) and looks like a 4x4. Maybe it's because I'm 17 and don't want to look "un-cool", but I couldn't drive my car like that. If anything, the highest I'd be would be 1" lower than stock. Low enough to not look stupid, but high enough to keep all handling benefits.

"not wanting to ride "high" because of a look vs. loosing performance is backwards i think" I agree with that. But I couldn't drive a daily driver around in 4x4 mode.

if it were my daily and sometime track car sure, i can see running it lowered, but i basically drive the car car to and from events and on weekends. but even then my 225/40/18 fill the wheel wells.....well :rofl: i only have issues in the rear when the slicks and all the event gear are in the car and i hit bumps

Yeah exactly. Right now we are in different situations, both car and suspension wise, so we have different setups, preferences etc. Once this car get's to the point of occasional driver/track car, I'll most likely raise it a little (Unless I do something radical with the suspension ;)).

Hey striker, I read your post about having control arms at level for best handling characteristics. So I wanted to let you know, it didnt go unnoticed.

Back