• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cheap 200+ hp ???

Autobahndodge

New CEG'er
Hey guys Im realitively new to the contour scene well actually mystque scene but it's pretty much the same i got a 98 mercury mystique LS 2.5 v6 auto, i love this car but i want the car to have 200+ hp but i wanna keep it N/A for now. and also i wanna swap to the manual also. so what do i really need to do to get the hp i would like? any help would be appreciated.

200 BHP (at the crank or about 165-170 WHP) or 200 WHP (at the wheels)? for 200BHP the simplest thing to do is to toss on all the SVT parts including the PCM. you will be hard pressed to get 200WHP out of the 2.5 N/A.

nothing cheap about it .....

if you are just looking for 200BHP then you can get the necessary SVT bits for cheap. TB, UIM, LIM, cams, injectors, and PCM should cost less than $700 (probably less than $500 really). thats cheap when it comes to automotive mods, I cant even get a 3" exhaust for my car for that price usually (sometimes good deals on used ones pop up but rarely). however 200WHP is going to be far from cheap.

You're a Dodge guy, so I'm sure you're used to hearing this: You need to do some transmission work if you'd like to hit 200WHP reliably.

thats what I thaught and what would a 3.0 with a manual cost

A ton more than if you had bought a Contour or Mystique that was already equipped with a manual trans. The front subframe for the ATX configuration is not the same as the MTX configuration so you have to swap the subframe for starters. Then you have to be careful which subframe you choose since the lower control arms change from a 4-bolt to 2-bolt configuration. Then there is hunting down the clutch pedal assembly, the shifter linkage, shifter assembly, console for the shifter assembly, the transaxle mounts, the transaxle, having the transaxle modified to handle the increased horse power without breaking it, getting the pressure plate, flywheel and throwout bearing, etc.

Probably the cheapest way to accomplish what you want to do is to sell your current Mystique and buy a used Contour / Mystique (or even Cougar) that has already had the 3L conversion done to it.

id really love a SVT but the only thing is that im going thru wyotech right now and id only be able to trade and make payments without going to a dealership, and i don't think some one would trade a svt for a mystique

id really love a SVT but the only thing is that im going thru wyotech right now and id only be able to trade and make payments without going to a dealership, and i don't think some one would trade a svt for a mystique

Congrats on attending Wyotech. Your best bet would be to maintain the car as is, and finish school. After you graduate and go to work, then get into an SVT or something else. (Used Cobra)

hey thanks im glad i chose this school than others but id really want get something with more power or at least a standard what all would it take to swap the engine and a trans to a svt and manual

ok thanks for all the help, i think ill wait till im in a class that i can work on it right now im goning thru the last business (asm) phase and ill keep looking for donner cars

Back