• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

changing spark plug wires on 3L

blackstang5.0

CEG'er
Hey, i want to do a tune up on my 3L svt and was wondering what is involved in replacing the wires and such. I bought this car from a friend (blackcoog) so i dont know already how to do them. Looks like with the 3L intake that it needs to come off to do the wires.

So wondering if anyone can tell me the procedure on how to swap the wires with a 3L and whats involved and needed with removing the intake. Ive been noticeing some rough idle but nothing severe, plus looks like stock wires on the 3L. Well any help is much appreciated. Thanks

If they used the plastic Escape intake manifold then yes, you will need to take the intake off to get to the rear plugs. You should be able to find all that over at Escape Central, complete with torque settings (in inch pounds) and gasket part numbers (http://www.escape-central.com/) You will need to search. Although I have read it, I don't remember where it is.

If they used an aluminum Taurus intake manifold, I don't know if you need to take it off or not.

If they used the orignal SVT intake manifold, you will not need to remove the manifold to get to the plugs. You can find the information here somewhere in the FAQ section, as originally posted my Ray McNary.

Yes it is the plastic intake manifold. So looks like i get to have fun, bad part is i dont have a torqe wrench on me to reinstall the intake so might have to wait on the wires for abit.

Won't Blackcoog help you out with changing them?

And the metal 3L UIM doesn't need to come off. Stazi and Terry Haines swapped out plugs on his SVT on the dyno at SZ05, in about 15 minutes. He was, and still is running a metal 3L intake manifold.

Mark

And the metal 3L UIM doesn't need to come off. Stazi and Terry Haines swapped out plugs on his SVT on the dyno at SZ05, in about 15 minutes. He was, and still is running a metal 3L intake manifold.

Mark

Hes been busy lately and i dont want to bother him with just changing plug wires and plugs. But about this metal upper intake, is there any gains to having it other then easy access to the wires and such? Can it bolt up to the lower intake manifold that the plastic upper is on?

t.

not sure about the escape uim but it worked with the sable uim. I just put the spark plug socket on a 6" extension and got it into position in the plug hole, then attached another extension onto that and took it out. worth a shot with the escape uim before you go and pull it off

No way I would try it with it on. Too tight. The UIM doesn't ahve the crush style gaskets either so you don't have to go out and buy new ones if you need to take it off.

You can definately get the plugs out with the plastic 3L upper intake. I would atleast try it before pulling it all apart.

Last edited:

Mark

After mocking up my ST220 aluminum manifold, it appears I MAY have to remove it for plug changes, but I'm not sure yet, since I haven't tried it. I'll keep everyone posted once the car gets back together.

Lets stay on topic so the guy doesn't lose his mind in this thread.

For the plastic 3L UIM YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE MANIFOLD TO CHANGE THE PLUGS! It is the same as doing them on a standard duratec...if changing plugs frightens you I suggest you pay someone to do it. :nonono:

Lets stay on topic so the guy doesn't lose his mind in this thread.

For the plastic 3L UIM YOU DO NOT NEED TO REMOVE THE MANIFOLD TO CHANGE THE PLUGS! It is the same as doing them on a standard duratec...if changing plugs frightens you I suggest you pay someone to do it. :nonono:

wtf... I thought it was yes for plastic, remove, and no for aluminum. I can vouch for this b/c I don't have to remove it on my dad's taurus (he has Al manifold).

I may be wrong, but at SZ05 I thought I remembered Stazi unbolting his UIM to remove the plugs. It didnt get removed, just pushed out of the way a bit. Not sure if the same holds true to changing the wires, but its seems to me that it would be fairly obvious just by looking at it:ponder:

He probably did it to make it easier.

Still, a duratec shouldn't require a manifold removal to pull the plugs, it doesn't make good maintenance sense. Chances are you need to use a swivel joint in your extensions to get it done.

Well in any case, with Stazi doing the R&R and Terry doing the regaping, it still took 10 min or less even with the manifold removal. We arent talking rocket science here, LOL :p

Just checked the plugs, wire and swapped coil packs on 3L SVT Contour last night (Plastic upper) and I didn't have to touch the upper intake. They are very easy to get to with a few extensions (no swivle or knuckle joint is needed).

Chris

Back