• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CD4E shift firmness?

AnErin

New CEG'er
Car in question is actually a Cougar but it has the 2.5 duratec and CD4e.

Anyways the shift firmness from 1 to 2 is often kind of firm, 2 to 3 unpredictable, and 3 to 4 is smooth.

I am thinking of replacing the TSS as that seems to be a common problem.

It goes into gear smooth and seems to have normal shift points, I am just wondering how smooth they normally shift. I would not call the shift a "bang" or anything but I can feel it, especially at slow accelerations. Usually if I take off faster it is smoother.

I am still getting used to this car, I was driving a grand prix for two years and that thing had seamless shifts so maybe I am not used to the firm shifts of the CD4E? I know sometimes in smaller cars the shifting is sometimes firm for the overall feel of the car. Well not like a 2.5 is some speed demon but anyways

Thanks for any feedback

alright, I will say this, GM seems to love the super smooth shifts. My impala does the same thing. It also had a transmission replaced early in its life (it was still under warranty). While this may be great for the driver, from what I've read, it is hell on the transmission. The smoother shifts tend to generate more heat and wear ALLEGEDLY (a reference I found online http://www.txchange.com/transgo.htm) . I am having this same issue, much much more severe, but my CD4E is on its way out. when I first got it, it shifted fairly smooth unless it was hot out, but normally a little tug in the lower gears. sounds like a sensor/electrical issue. I would say TSS or MLPS and associated connections could be showing issues, for example, my harness that runs across the trans and carries o2 sensor wiring, temp gauge wiring, TSS and MLPS has a short somewhere in it as the harness wasnt replaced in the recall.

Tell me this, does the shifting change with temp? does it start shifting harder when its super cold or super hot? are you leaking anywhere? is your trans fluid at correct level? check engine light at all? or flashing O/D off light? my trans has also been throwing TCC codes over the summer after a long drive, began doing it late winter/early spring. You are looking at, the least, a few sensors, at most, a new CD4E (or rebuild, depending on price/DIY ability).

Last edited:
Back