• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Carnauba wax for leather

hotdimmes

Hard-core CEG'er
Any recommendations or opinions on this? Would it make leather all glossy and vinyly looking?

The guy from Leatherique.com told me to put some carnauba wax on my dyed seats if there were parts sticking to each other (rear bench armrest perhaps). I figure why not just put it on all of the leather for added protection. The seats were cleaned and conditioned before dying as well.

Any recommendations or opinions on this? Would it make leather all glossy and vinyly looking?

The guy from Leatherique.com told me to put some carnauba wax on my dyed seats if there were parts sticking to each other (rear bench armrest perhaps). I figure why not just put it on all of the leather for added protection. The seats were cleaned and conditioned before dying as well.

I've got a buddy who sports a 1986 BMW 528e. A lot of the Bimmer guys are familiar with Leatherique, and I've heard some horror stories. I would not go putting wax on my leather.

Zip down to AutoZone and pick up a container of Armor-All Leather Wipes. I know they sound cheap, but they work well, and are easy to apply. If you want something fancier, Lexol is great. And for cleaning, I really like Tattersall. :cool:

my biggest complaint about them is that I bought wayyyy too much of everything based on their web site recommendation. I bought the full interior kit tht has 32oz each of the conditioner,cleaner,stripper, and dye. I used maybe an 1/10 of the conditioner/cleaner, 1/4th of the stripper, and 1/10 of the dye. Actually 9/10th's of the dye because I stepped on the container and spilled it everywhere! :mad:

...Actually 9/10th's of the dye because I stepped on the container and spilled it everywhere! :mad:

That must have been a funny sight.

If it makes you feel better, I was doing something last year with my now sold project car that involved expando foam -- ah, yes -- working to silence a door panel squeak. Of course, I hit it with too much of the stuff, and put the excess on the ground in front of me as I continued to work on the door. It wasn't long before I'd put my leg in it -- you can't get that stuff out of clothes. That pair of jeans still bears the scar. :cool:

Carnuba wax ???? Have you ever put was on trim pieces of your car and seen thw white reside in the bumpy sections???

if you are going to experiment, I suggest something like S100 or P21S. It's a bit more oil based and doesnt leave residue on trim like some other waves.

You can get S100 from your local Harley dealer or the P21S from Autopia

I do suggest searching the Autopia Forums for another alternative though. Keep us posted

Last edited:
Actually, when I took the pics in the pics/vid section, I had just used Aerospace 303 on the seats. Made them look pretty good but I think I want something less all purpose. I think I remember my brother saying something about P21S being the only one that doesn't leave dry crud in your perforated seats or something? I'll have to order some.

I have a little sample packet of meguirs leather wipes. Maybe I'll give those a go too.

Leather wipes are too expensive from the stand point of how many treatments you get per container. Get yourself some Lexol spray if you must use the OTC products, but as I've said for years here, Griots leather conditioner FTW, as well as their other product for more worn leather. Also, can't forget about the leather spray too:cool:

www.griotsgarage.com

I personally endorse this product, for what that's worth:shrug:

Back