• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car wash 1 side skirts 0

2kSVT

CEG'er
I took the turbo tour through the car wash yesterday to wash off the road grime. I didn't feel any problems as I left. I work midnights, and when I get to work I see that my driver's side skirt is gone. I look at the passenger side, and it is gone as well. I call the wife..who calls Speedway. The clerk says the car wash is locked, but there are 2 big silver things in there!!! I meet with the manager this morning after work (in uniform) and she says they will get with corporate office and make it right.

Are there still "new" side skirts available? Anyone purchased brand new ones. I told her they may be hard to come by, but they said they would fix it. They hit the wheel stop after my front tire cleared it. They are broken and twisted beyond repair. Boy is it ugly w/o them.

Rod

Boy is it ugly w/o them.
I will attest to that. :blackeye:

I remember the local car wash I went to.. the guy told me since my car was lowered they wouldn't cover it if it scraped.. luckily I was young and took the chance and it didn't hit. The guy was so scared :laugh:

This is also why my sideskirts are only screwed in on the two sides.. i've bottomed them out more times than I can count on curbs and stuff and they just pop right off. Those clips hold them in well enough, no need to do all the screws underneathe the skirt.

Bump

bummer for shure but thats why I don't use the automatic washes allways been afraid of things coming off execept when I was a kid and begged my dad to go through them becuase they were neat

Lets see some pics of them.
Im pretty handy at plastic welding a torching things back into place, I have repaired some pretty horrible thing. Just a suggestion.
Cheers.

Side skirts have been discontinued for quite some time now. I think your only option is to wait until they pop up in the classifieds.

This is one of the many reasons why I haven't taken my car through a car wash in probably 8 years. You take the chance of losing a splitter/side skirt, getting curb rash on a wheel from the guard rail, and swirl marks.

Thanks for the quick replies. Jim, I was afraid they were scarce. I have taken it through this same one before..got lucky I guess. I normally hand wash only, but it was so filthy. Maybe they will just cut me a check and I can get some nice used ones.
To the guy that asked about pics, I'll put some up tomorrow. The ends where the plastic pin fixes them to the car broke, and they are pretty boogered up. One of the JP covers is broken in two. Pics to come

Rod

That doesn't sound to bad, I once fixed an SVT front bumper that was hit by a transport and it looked good when finished. I will do them for nothing, its a hobby of mine, you just gotta ship them to me as I am in Canada. Cheers.

That doesn't sound to bad, I once fixed an SVT front bumper that was hit by a transport and it looked good when finished. I will do them for nothing, its a hobby of mine, you just gotta ship them to me as I am in Canada. Cheers.

I suspect the side skirts would be much harder to fix than a front or rear fascia. The plastic is much thinner and more susceptible to flexing.

Back