• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

can't put my finger...

BAD SVT

Addicted CEG'er
on the issue i'm having. i figure the 3l pros could help me out. as sig says, 3l turbo. i posted a CEL dillemma in the troubleshooting thread. gat a lot of help from folks esp brapple (brian). since the swap, idle's been a bit rough. no biggie. got worse as time progressed. last week, the car wouldnt hold an idle. codes P0402, 0172, and 0175 popped up. and there was a HUGE fuel smell. by the way, at this point am still running the same tune tom sent me for the 2.5 back in june. 24lbs, stock MAF, bigger fmic etc.
So i changed the DPFE sensor, and the car ran fine for a few days. in fact the P0402(excessive egr) vanished, leaving just both banks rich. yesterday, as i drove off a store parking lot, the bad bouncing idle(500-1200rpm) came back again with the HUGE fuel smell. deciding to head back home, the car just kept sputtering. it wouldnt move faster than 5mi/hr. it sounded like i was driving a moped. kinda like a RATATATA sound. the only thing i could think of was ignition issues. i changed the spark plugs. as i took the old ones out, 4 of them were drenched with fuel. long story short, the car wasn't any better after the new plugs. not wanting to foul up the new ones, i had it towed back home. am lost on what to do. here's my next plan of action... Install the 42lbs, 80mm MAF, intake filter, and new tune that joey sent me. if that doesnt work, i'll let u all know. if u do have an idea of wot could be up with this thing, please post as i won't be installing these till monday.
for what its worth, these problems showed up after installing a 255l/hr fuel pump. it does have a pressure regulator tho. :shrug:

Has the intake manifold been pulled off at all in the course of installing youre turbo kit? Your injector harness could be cracked and arching causing a couple of your injectors to be running full duty. Similar issue happened with my car. Ran awful!

Btw, Im assuming your running a Nautilus Kit? If it was an ADC kit, the romping idle is typical, at least with my kit.

Has the intake manifold been pulled off at all in the course of installing youre turbo kit? Your injector harness could be cracked and arching causing a couple of your injectors to be running full duty. Similar issue happened with my car. Ran awful!

Btw, Im assuming your running a Nautilus Kit? If it was an ADC kit, the romping idle is typical, at least with my kit.

yeah actually. my setup's a split port with joey's LIM mod. so i did take off both upper n lower intakes. and it is a nautilus kit. i'll check my harnesses. at least urs ran. mine just starts up idles for 2 secs and then shuts off

well you'd better also check your fuel pressure to make sure it is returning fuel to the tank correctly and not overpressure on the injectors.
If the pressure is regulating correctly then you will look at the injector harness and if that isn't abnormal see what codes you've got left.

blown O2 sensors, bad coolant temp sensor, or dirty/misplaced maf sensor could all contribute.
Oh yeah, TPS sensor can cause this if unplugged or broken
vacuum leaks won't let it idle right nor can it learn correctly and it may cause the engine to flood.
Honestly if the tune worked before it should still work. I'd look more at fuel pump/pressure/injector issues though.

I agree. Check your fuel pressure. Make sure youre fuel pressure regulator is hooked up to a vacuum source. If its not its going to pumping about ~59 psi of fuel pressure at idle.

from the troubleshooting I helped with there was a vacuum leak, after reworking the vacuum lines his bov started to work.

I suggested already that the new fuel pump was causing it to run rich. I also suggested instead of installing the upgraded injectes, etc that he figure out what was going on and also datalog to get a base line before making any other changes.

from the troubleshooting I helped with there was a vacuum leak, after reworking the vacuum lines his bov started to work.

I suggested already that the new fuel pump was causing it to run rich. I also suggested instead of installing the upgraded injectes, etc that he figure out what was going on and also datalog to get a base line before making any other changes.

He said that it was running perfect for awhile with the new fuel pump. It was running goofy until he swapped out the dpfe, and then it ran great for awhile with a/f between 11 and 12 at wot. Fuel pressure should be checked though.... you can get a fuel pressure gauge from autozone on their rent a tool program iirc, or you can just buy a nice quality one for about $30 and always have it. Let us know what your fuel pressure is at idle, etc...

And swapping out the injectors, maf, and installing the new tune is not a bad idea. It takes a matter of 1/2 hour and it will determine such things as if the MAF took a crap, if an injector(s) got stuck open, or even if the tune went bad and got corrupted or if the pcm overwrote itself. I had the same exact problem and when I reinstalled my original tune with the stock maf, everything went perfect. So I then thought it was the maf that must have been the problem because that was the ONLY thing I changed other than the tune. So I got another BRAND NEW 80mm maf, tried it out with that other tune that had worked PERFECT for a few weeks and I had the same problem with running so rich it could barely idle, pegging the wideband out at 10, and not even being able to be driven. So I thought my original 80mm maf must have went to crap, and I must have recieved a defective new MAF so I tried even another practically new 80mm maf and I had the SAME problem. I reinstalled the stock MAF with a boosted tune for my 42lb injectors and stock MAF and everything was as perfect as can be. Never had an issue again. I just gave up on the 80mm MAF. I did have them tested out on another boosted contour and the MAF's had no problems at all. Anyone need some? :) It is possible for the tune to get corrupted and what not, so a 1/2 hour of swapping injectors, maf and loading a new tune won't hurt a thing. If the problem is still there, then he has elminated some possibilities and he can then determine the problem with that setup or return to the original setup to determine the problem. But I agree that the first thing he should do is CHECK the Fuel pressure. Make sure the regulator is working properly by determining that you do in fact have proper fuel pressure at idle. I believe 44-47psi !?!?! Anyways, you can check the fuel injector harness over for cracks and dry rotting while you have it apart swapping out injectors. The problem could be many things though, so it is just a matter of narrowing down the problem by doing all the cheap or free and easy fixes first. That is at least how I look at it. I believe his car is running too bad to even get a datalog if it stalls after he starts it up, etc...

Keep us updated. I know how these problems can be a bugger. :(

Last edited:
hey guys. thanx for the intelligent troubleshooting ideas. i may have gotten a lucky break as joey just might have helped me figure out that my MAF isn't working. not 100% positive yet. i'll keep y'all updated. tomorrow, the bigger maf goes in, and maybe the injectors. i WILL get the fuel pressure checked tomorrow and let u know how it turns out. thanx again.

hey guys. thanx for the intelligent troubleshooting ideas. i may have gotten a lucky break as joey just might have helped me figure out that my MAF isn't working. not 100% positive yet. i'll keep y'all updated. tomorrow, the bigger maf goes in, and maybe the injectors. i WILL get the fuel pressure checked tomorrow and let u know how it turns out. thanx again.

easiest way to see if the maf is working is to datalog and see what the maf is outputting

here's where am at now. i got a fuel pressure guage. turns out my pressure is through the roof!!! literally. it peggd all the way down past 100psi at idle. had to shut it down. now i have to figure out where the problem lies. my fuel lines or pressure regulator. anyone have any troubleshootn ideas for that? joey advised i pop the return line on top of the fuel tank and check it out. i removed my backseat, but i cant seem to pop any of those lines out. anyone know? heres pics
DSC02938.jpg

DSC02939.jpg

Over 100psi of fuel pressure at idle is a problem. :) As for the lines, you gotta pop up or off the saftey clips on each line at the tank. It's been awhile since I last did it so I can't explain that part exactly... just mess around to get those plastic clips out of the way. Then push down on a line and get something to push down on the black ring right at the base and hold it down while pulling up very firmly on the line. Make sure you are pulling up right at 90 instead of just reefing on the line because it will take quite a bit of force to get it out. Maybe somebody else who has it fresher on their mind can explain, but with a little determination I am sure you can do it. :)

Over 100psi of fuel pressure at idle is a problem. :) As for the lines, you gotta pop up or off the saftey clips on each line at the tank. It's been awhile since I last did it so I can't explain that part exactly... just mess around to get those plastic clips out of the way. Then push down on a line and get something to push down on the black ring right at the base and hold it down while pulling up very firmly on the line. Make sure you are pulling up right at 90 instead of just reefing on the line because it will take quite a bit of force to get it out. Maybe somebody else who has it fresher on their mind can explain, but with a little determination I am sure you can do it. :)

gatcha. thanx jeff. i'll try n work on them later.

if you get that fuel issue fixed and the problem persists check your egr. i had those same codes (non turbo) but turned off and blocked the egr and no more codes :)

If your diaphram is blown out in the regulator fuel will get into the vacuum side. This would give you fuel pressure issues. Easy check.

Back