• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can I upgrade an ATX with SVT parts?

ecksee

CEG'er
Hi,
I have an ATX duratec. I'd like to swap to MTX in the future (I want to keep this car for personal reasons), but for now I'd like to start with other things.

I would like to switch to SVT cams, and the whole intake shebang...

I know I need an SVT pcm to use the injectors, but can I swap to SVT cams using my current SE PCM? Will I see any difference?

Thanks

You can do the cams & intake, but may be stuck with the SE injectors. SVT cams will give you better pull at the top RPM range where the SE cams fall off a bit. The SE cams seem to have a tiny bit more at the low end based on dyno sheets I trust.

To use SVT injectors & cams to their fullest you will need the SVT PCM and possibly the keys & locks that went with that car. PATS will prevent you from using the PCM without the key, and you will need the ignition & locks swapped out unless you use the key under the dash cheat. Either way, you'll need the key.

As for the transmission, you'll also need a subframe from an MTX car with the same type of control arms you have, a set of pedals & linkage, and the wiring harness from an MTX car.

This subject has been beaten to death since these boards were started. Most ATX guys who have wanted manual eventually buy an MTX car with a V-6 and drop in a 3L, maybe with a few SVT goodies thrown in. These cars are cheap enough that you can get one for a very good price - even a Cougar MTX is within easy reach if you shop. 3L swaps are well documented on these boards and there are sources where you can simply buy a turnkey 3L if you want to go that route.

I bought an ATX 4 banger that had the engine go bad. Now I'm installing a 2004 Sable Duratec 3L with SVT cams, 1998 Sable Duratec 3L narrow beam injectors in an SVT intake system, an Escape ATX transmission (Yes, the CD4E from a truck), blah, blah, blah.... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the cam info.

I am absolutely not going to get another contour.
This particular car means alot to me, as it was the first new car my family ever bought, after always driving around various hunks of crap.
I can still remember the night my dad brought it home with 25 miles on it... I thought this car was a work of art...
I really want to work with this beast, even if an MTX swap is a pain in the ass.

I read a bunch of opinions that say that the 3L will tear the CD4E to pieces. Anyone actually have a 3L ATX that can vouch for this? My ATX seems to put up with whatever crap I can throw at it.

Ok, so I read up on tuning, and I was wondering,

Is it possible to get an Xcal burned with the stock timing configuration from an SVT, so that I could put all of the SVT top end parts on my ATX, and walk away with the proper factory tune for it?

You don't need a stock SVT tune. Upgrade the parts you wish to upgrade, and tune based on what you upgraded, like if you stay with 17lb injectors rather than the 19lb, etc.

I would do the engine/transmission all in one go. Get the rest of the bolt ons you will transfer to the new engine, but wait on the internals. No point to pull an engine only to do it again.

Do all the suspension mods you can find until you get your hands on a 3L-MTX and the rest of the parts.

If you go to the NECO site, they have what they call SVT lite for sale there all of the time. Should be all of the SVT parts you desire. The ATX should be fine w/what you will be doing for now.

CD4E is garbage. If your pulling your motor change it.

The CD4E is garbage for performance; it's truly built only for economy.

Dan's building his Cougar for a daily driver/freeway cruiser; he has a GTO for when he wants to go fast.

I'm not really a drag strip junky anyway. I just want something that will go up a steep freeway hill without trying very hard. You know, that press the pedal a little--get a lot in return, feeling.

I'll start saving up parts for a swap and see where it takes me. If a parts car or a full MTX swap kit comes my way, great. Those cougar guys have a great how-to on the swap. If not, 40 extra lbs of torque would be darn useful on the freeway.

I'm not really a drag strip junky anyway. I just want something that will go up a steep freeway hill without trying very hard. You know, that press the pedal a little--get a lot in return, feeling.

I'll start saving up parts for a swap and see where it takes me. If a parts car or a full MTX swap kit comes my way, great. Those cougar guys have a great how-to on the swap. If not, 40 extra lbs of torque would be darn useful on the freeway.
Useful right until the transmission overheats and dies. If you are going to mod this car I highly suggest doing everything you can to protect the transmission. Fluid flushes and a Hayden #404 would probably keep it together until you swap it.

The CD4E is garbage for performance; it's truly built only for economy.

Nah, it really is just garbage. The only 3L/ATX combo in a Contour I know of from the last several years was rkneeshaw. I believe he tried swapping in an MTX once the CD4E toasted itself. I'm hoping the revision of the CD4E in the Escape was updated to fix most of the ills of the platform.

Back