• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cam alignment

brector

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I am putting on a new timing belt and need help figuring out how to align the cams. Are they correct when the dots on the cam sprockets are at the top of the spockets? There is also a dap of yellow paint on each cam when at this position. Thanks for any help, I searched but did not find the answer.

My car is a '98 4 cyl contour

There are slots on each cam on the back. Get #1 to TDC and line the two slots. There is a kit you can get to get them lined up.

Be aware you have to have valve cover pulled to do that. There are NO marks on sprockets despite what you may think, thank Ford for that.......

There are in fact red dots on the cam sprockets. They mean absolutely nothing All that matters is the slot at the end of the cams.

Thanks all! The reason I am asking is, I am just going to use a straight edge with feeler gauges instead of the special cam tool. I was just afraid I would get one cam 180* out, but I am assuming they will only line up one way with the straight edge? thanks!

-Brian

Ok, so as long as the crank is at TDC and I use a straight edge with suitable width, I can't mess up the cam timing? Thanks!

Sorry to keep asking, just don't wanna spend all this time and cash just to trash the top end - lol

-Brian

Make sure you loosen the cam gears before setting the tension, though. The procedure is different for the VCT (98+) vs non-VCT (pre98).

Gotcha. It's in my chilton's manual, and in the paper work that came with my timing belt pulley kit. Thanks!

-Brian

To answer the question posed, the cam slots are off center, you cannot get them in half out, provided you built up space tight with feeler gauge. I do it with a piece of 3/16" keyway stock from Home Depot, with like one .012" or .013" to add up to the .200" thickness of a real tool.

Back