• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Buying stored duratec 3.0 or rebuilding.

Muhiii

New CEG'er
Hello,
Last year i bought 3.0 from Escape, sadly, the engine has seen better days. Cams are shot - cam pitting and pistons has some slap. So right now, i am revaulating all my options.
First option is to rebuild this engine - that would mean oversize pistons and some machine work (You cant resleeve this engine am i right?).
Second option is byuing another engine in better condition. I contacted some Ford groups on Facebook and 1 guys has 3.0 but it is stored in attic for 10 years. I know its probably not good condition but the price is really tempting, he wants only 150$. I need to buy cams which are aroud 150$ so if cams were in good shape, i would still have another try with - maybe not so damaged - engine or i would just scrap it and still have my cams. (These 3.0 engines are really expensive in my country, when i was searching for one last year, almost all offers were around 2 000 - 2 500$.)

Any thoughts on this? Would you risk it?

I am little scared of the cost. I went into this with the point of "budget" build - just refresh all new gaskets, light machine work, new piston rings, new bearings and right in car it goes. Now it is starting to look like big money pit.

Hello,
Last year i bought 3.0 from Escape, sadly, the engine has seen better days. Cams are shot - cam pitting and pistons has some slap. So right now, i am revaulating all my options.
First option is to rebuild this engine - that would mean oversize pistons and some machine work (You cant resleeve this engine am i right?).
Second option is byuing another engine in better condition. I contacted some Ford groups on Facebook and 1 guys has 3.0 but it is stored in attic for 10 years. I know its probably not good condition but the price is really tempting, he wants only 150$. I need to buy cams which are aroud 150$ so if cams were in good shape, i would still have another try with - maybe not so damaged - engine or i would just scrap it and still have my cams. (These 3.0 engines are really expensive in my country, when i was searching for one last year, almost all offers were around 2 000 - 2 500$.)

Any thoughts on this? Would you risk it? You can refer to Getmodnow websites for free and safe, so you can rest assured to experience. And the website always updates apps and games quickly
Your current engine has broken down badly and the second has been stored in the attic for ten years. You need to double-check the condition of both engines and consider the cost of repairing or replacing damaged components

Back