• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bunch of Questions

scraphound95

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I just acquired a 1995 Contour LX 2.5 5 Speed from a friend of mine who works at a shop for 200 bucks with 67000mile on it. I went to school for automotive and am always looking for ways to make cars faster. Of course first thing I did after acquiring it is try to find ways to make it faster. So because if this I have some questions I hope you guys/gals can answer for me

1.)Is a 3l swap possible into a 95? And what complications will I run into when doing the swap? And what additional parts are needed and things need to altered to make it as painless as possible?

2.)What is the gear ratio of an SVT transmission vs my own and what are the major differences if any?

3.)What is the power gain from putting the 2.5 heads on the 3l and are they a direct bolt? And what needs to be modified if not?

4.)I found coil overs for a 98 from DC2 Sports will the work on my car or will I have make modification?

5.)I know the brakes on an SVT are different what would be required to make svt brakes fit my car?
Also my car is all wheel disc if that matters

1. it is possible but is a little more complicated as there isnt a good way to tune the OBD1 system. find blu_fuz's build thread for more info on this.

2. gear ratios are the same for all MTX75s used in Contours/Cougars/Mystiques. the final drive ratio is different between the Zetec (4cyl) and Duratec (v6) engines though. you cannot use a Zetec trans on a Duratec engine as they have a different bellhousing pattern as well as a different input shaft length.

3. search around the 3L section for this (both here on CEG and over on NECO)

4. link to the coilovers? generally though, the 98+ struts/springs will work fine on the pre98 cars as long as you use the upper strut mounts that match the springs. the rears were all the same though so thats not an issue.

5. there are 2 ways you can get the larger 278mm rotors for the front (rears were all the same). 1 is to buy a set of caliper brackets from a 99-00 SVT or 99-02 Cougar with the Sport package. you can then bolt on your current calipers (the later SVTs used the same calipers as the regular Contours) and install the larger rotors. the other option is to buy a set of early 98 (E0) calipers, brackets, and pads and bolt them on. the E0 calipers however dont have as many pad options available, and many times parts stores give you the wrong ones. with the 1st option you can continue to just ask for pads for you car.

Back