• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Building a "built" 2.5?

You guys seem more performance-oriented over here so I will ask this here first. I just picked up an early 1999 Cougar V6 5-speed that the previous owner claims blew a head gasket. He started to have work done on the engine before the mechanic stopped messing with it. The top of the engine is apart (UIM missing, fuel injectors unplugged, miscellaneous other parts missing). I have a good 2.5 that I plan on swapping into the car to get this one running as it would be a perfect daily driver. My plan was then to take my black car that is gutted out and throw a 3L into it, but I got an idea last night.

What type of parts are out there to build a "built up" 2.5 using the engine that is partially apart? I picked up the whole car for $450, and would like to get as much "bang for the buck" possible, so if I can rebuild this 2.5 (assuming everything measures out ok and it is rebuildable) I would definitely like to do that. I've already found the good connecting rods and bearing kits on Nautilus Performance, but I only see 3L pistons, not 2.5. Does anyone out there make high compression 2.5 pistons? I want to get in touch with Buckeye about the cam work he does and see about doing some custom cams for it. I know the "easy" way to do it is obviously just tossing this 2.5 aside and doing a 3L, but if this 2.5 is rebuildable, I would like to make use of the resources and parts I already have sitting here.

Your going to spend a lot more $ building up the 2.5 to maybe get close to what a 3L would give you right out of the box. You could sell the extra 2.5 you have, keep it around for parts or just find a car that needs an engine later on and make a lil money.

^^^Yeah that

The only thing I would consider doing is a 3L Hybrid (2.5 bottom, 3L top) if you can get a decent set of heads for a good price. From what I know, there is a lot of work to do with that too.

to build a built motor your looking at 700 for K1 rods, 1000 for pistons(if they send you the right ones) and at least 500 at the machine shop to get it together and make sure it all fits, then you need a tune, figure 600 for that. ooooor you find a 3L for 400-600, install it yourself and get it tuned and spend the leftover money on slicks

Yeah I see what you guys mean. I'm just trying to make the most out of everything with this car and see what I might be able to do with this 2.5. If all else fails, make a table out of it Top Gear style.

Yeah, this thread got me thinking about what do do with my 2.5 if it blows. This came to mind for sure, also a exploded view display for the garage I don't have.

Back