• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake Problem: from bad, to worse

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
I took the CSVT out Monday :). Lately, I feel like it's been doing more sitting than driving. So since I had the day off from work, and the weather was cooperating, I decided to take it for a spin. The battery was dead, so I jumped it, checked the tire pressure, and headed to the car wash.

Before I even made it there, I noticed a strange problem. I would put the car into 1st gear, start driving, and then all of a sudden the car would "buck" once, really quick, the ABS light would kick on, and the engine would almost stall. Instinctively, I pushed the clutch in to keep the engine going. I originally suspected that the rotors/calipers were a bit rusty from sitting, so I just continued driving. The problem seemed to happen only a second or two after starting off from a stop (I'd guess I was doing no more than 3 to 5 Mph).

I made it to the car wash, had it cleaned, and then drove off. A few minutes later, while slowing down for a traffic light, the brake pedal went to the floor. I quickly rolled into a parking lot. Just then, (my luck) the car stalled. I tried to restart it, but there wasn't enough juice yet to turn over the engine (yet apparently there was enough power to randomly clean my windshield :rolleyes:). I decided to check the brake fluid, and was surprised to see it completely empty. I filled it up, pressed the pedal, and heard a leak coming from somewhere underneath the car. All the fluid that I had just added, was now leaking from the rear of the car :blackeye:. I guess I blew a brake line. I haven't had a chance to jack the car up to confirm. Though, even if a brake line busts, shouldn't I still have front brakes? I was surprised when the pedal went to the floor so easily. Especially since most of the braking is handled up the front. I was under the impression that modern master cylinders are split, to prevent a major loss of braking in situations like this.

Also, is this related to the "buck"/ABS issue I had earlier? My grandpa is blaming the brake line and master cylinder. I have to wonder if something else might be to blame too (some ABS component, caliper, etc.?). The battery is dead again, so I have no fault codes to check.

:help:

Pic I took at the car wash:
October2013..jpg

I think the bucking might be due to either the battery going out or the alt. I had a similar issue with my 98. I had a bad battery and if I didn't keep the car revved up it would die. Replaced battery and everything was fine. As far as your brake issue I have no clue except a brake line went out. Hopefully someone else will chime in with an answer.

The system should be split diagonally in the event that a rupture occures so that you still have enough braking to stop. The only point the system converges is gonna be the master cylinder and the abs module.

I figure that a standard part of what I'd call preventative maintenance would be to replace the flexible brake lines once they are much more than 10 years old. Lots of guys change pads but never lube the slides of the calipers, resulting in uneven pressure which causes rotors to warp and even crack. If the dust seal of your calipers is damaged and thus allowing moisture to get in, the caliper is junk and you should buy a new or overhauled one. All those living in rust prone areas should also check their metal brake lines for corrosion. When your brakes fail, "what's holding you back?". BTW, brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water) so should be changed whenever you replace pads though few do. This will tend to greatly extend the life of your master and ABS.

Back