• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Big Bend Open Road Race

rwalton

Pole's Nemisis
Back from Texas car ran great again. Even with the added weight of a navigator we ran the 140mph class and finished 2nd. I hate being first loser but was pleased with the car. We finished .290 seconds off a perfect 140mph average over the 120 miles, the winning car was .162 seconds off. The new gear helped and we hit 164mph top speed. We surprised alot of people not many thought we would be able to average 140. I would love to hear and see some video of us screaming by at 164, the course workers said they could hear us coming for 2 miles.

Rob

Impressive! I'm assuming most of the cars in the 140 class were corvettes?

I took a look at the car build requirements the other day. It seems you need a racing license to compete in this event?

The 140 class this year was very diverse. Only 2 corvettes, 3 mustangs (03 cobra finished 1st), 1 BMW M5, 1 Turbo Porsche, 1 Nissan GTR (love those cars), a 1986 pontiac grand prix 2+2 and a Contour. There were 10 car in our class and 160 cars in the race. We are waiting to see if we finished in the top 10 overall.
You don't have to have a racing license but it would help if you wanted to run in a faster class your first time. They usually limit first timers to 125 class if you have some experience.

Rob

Looking forward to the pics. I'm not seeing any on the site at the moment...

Have you given any thought to the team competition? It looks like you could do 5 contour SVTs due to the limited production rule.

There are some posted on the message board, some great ones of a car on fire, glad it wasn't the Contour! Also the results of the faster classes are on the one titled Damn. I was on team Ford but I would love to have some other contour there. These are great events!

142N.jpg

142S.jpg

:confused::confused::confused:
177S.jpg

Not my idea of fun, but the nice thing about this race is anyone and almost any car can run. This guy ran in the 90mph class. I'll bet he and his navigator were more comfortable than us.

Race season is over for the Contour because of a major remodel at the house (more garage space!). So on Wednesday it goes to the body shop for some work and a fresh coat of paint. Next year SZ lookout! I have some ideas on color it should be cool.
So the Trans Am gets put into service for the rest of the year.

Rob

Back