• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Battery light on, alternator at 14 Volts

Autozone Alternators?

Autozone Alternators?

Just adding my 2 cents.....I have had a battery light indicator issue for over a year now. I have had the alternator, starter, & battery checked 2ice from 2 different locations/people, different times/months, & both said all are perfect.

The car runs so well that I accidentally left the headlights on the car when i went to work so naturally the battery was dead (i work 11 hours shifts). My wife came to jump the car & it started immediately without any hesitation. The car ran for about 2 min max then we left my car there & took her car to do some shopping in the area. When i got back to my car, i started it & it cranked over right away like there was never a problem. There's been no issue starting or running, so I Know all is ok.

But, my battery light comes on when it wants...hot, cold, slow speed, fast speed, up-shifting, down-shifting, high-reving, low-revving, what-ever & when-ever. It has been doing this since i bought the car & i recently replaced the battery (nothing to do with the issue or anything else, just time) & it still flickers or comes on then off, again, what-ever it feels. I am beginning to think its just the warning light or wire connections. I should add that I have a '99 Cougar 4cyl mtx vct zetec (if vct means anything since i saw mention that some zetecs might not be vct....I'm still learning).

Question: You all say stay away from Autozone alternators. What brand specifically? Because they have several brands that other parts places carry also, or is this an Autozone brand?

Back