• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Back to stock or magnaflow?

greasemonkey1489

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a 95 SE V6. The rear muffler has a hole blown in it, tried a repair, hole blew again so now its onto a magnaflow. I have been looking at a couple round bodied ones- stainless steel with tips i think the number's like 14809. I would like duals but don't have the time or money so would this be a good muffler to be somewhat quiet but have a nice growl?

I have a 95 SE V6. The rear muffler has a hole blown in it, tried a repair, hole blew again so now its onto a magnaflow. I have been looking at a couple round bodied ones- stainless steel with tips i think the number's like 14809. I would like duals but don't have the time or money so would this be a good muffler to be somewhat quiet but have a nice growl?

If you are on a budget...and need a fix temporarily to help solve the exhaust leak. You may be able to patch the muffler with a simple weld. It is common for the contour muffler to start leaking. There is a dimple on the back and front side of the muffler that seems to break open. allowing it to start leaking and growing larger. A simple weld could close that hole if it hasn't become too large.

If it is on the body of the muffler...you could just patch it with a metal plate for now allowing you to drive the car. It might last for a bit...but that depends on how well the welder does his job.

All these options will be available to you once you visit a exhaust shop. The exhaust tech will let you know if the muffler can be saved. At that point you will know if you have to ditch it and buy a new one.

I don't know how mechanically inclined you are but you can just replace the muffler...by using a simple hack saw, exhaust clamps and a new muffler. That should keep the price of the repair very cheap.

If you say the hell with cost...then order a maganflow muffler and throw it on there. I see them go really cheap on ebay now a days.

Why don't u get the hole welded closed? It would be like 10 dollars at an exhaust shop :shrug:

in my experience that doesnt work much better than muffler tape. Besides, he tried repairing it once, my guess would be if one hole exists, the metal around it is significantly less thick than originally and welding it would be like trying to weld a pop can. Especially if he has a factory muffler on, its just aluminized steel and after 15 years there probably isnt a lot left to it. If he knows a welder he could have them have a look at it, maybe they could say for sure if its worth it or will hold up.

Put a magnaflow in, then you have a lifetime warranty muffler that will get you the slightly more agressive sound you are looking for. Bear in mind, it will have no effect on performance, the rest of your exhaust system is just as restrictive or more than a factory muffler.

If you plan on saving for an exhaust system just put on a nice cheap muffler though.

Thats only slightly less ghetto than muffler tape. Besides, he tried repairing it once, my guess would be if one hole exists, the metal around it is significantly less thick than originally and welding it would be like trying to weld a pop can.

Put a magnaflow in, then you have a lifetime warranty muffler that will get you the slightly more agressive sound you are looking for. Bear in mind, it will have no effect on performance, the rest of your exhaust system is just as restrictive or more than a factory muffler.

If you plan on saving for an exhaust system just put on a nice cheap muffler though.

+1 Agreed

whats so ghetto about welding a hole closed on a muffler?

years ago my brother had a chrysler Lebaron, muffler was loud as hell, we took it to a shop to have the muffler replaced, they quoted us $200 to do it. The shop owned said we should weld a small plate over the one hole on the muffler, so we did that.
Cost us $50 and lasted the life of the car, we sold the car 5 years later with a bad transmission, and the muffler still as quiet as can be.

Facts are facts, this guy just wants a quick cheap fix on his car, why spend a :censored::censored::censored::censored: ton of money on fixing something that he can spend a small amount of money and get the same fix? Doesnt add up to me... Look at the poor guy's signature "The never-ending nightmare." something tells me that he already has had to sink a bunch of money into the car, so why sink more into it on a stupid muffler?

Either way, if he welds in a magnaflow muffler on a stock duratec exhaust it really wont sound much different, because the resonator is so restrictive on a contour, it wont get much louder, it wont increase horsepower.

Do the quick fix, if it becomes an issue a year down the line then get a new muffler and you saved yourself some money for a year. Beides, what I think is ghetto is adding a huge touring wing to the back of a FWD car for "Downforces" :rolleyes: But thats just my opinion.

Back