• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ATX - possible problems?

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
I have a friend that needs a car ASAP and I'm helping her track something down for cheap that I can fix easily. I found this on Craigslist but I don't know anything about the CD4E and what may cause this problem.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/2152378539.html

$700 Or Best Offer, would like sold ASAP

1998 Mercury Mystique, Good Condition, Automatic. Includes, remote starter, power windows, power locks, leather seats. AM/FM Cassette. Low jack. 24 valve, v6.. have title. I am the second owner.
It Needs 02 Censors and there is a problem with 2nd gear in the transmission But it is still drivable.Just have to drive it as a stander. (standard?). It is a really good car, and is reliable. I would love to spend the money to fix it. But my wife is pregnant with Twins, so we need a bigger vehicle. I will go down on the price if need be. So if Interested or Anymore question, or want to look at it, call me

I know it's vague but it sounds like he is just manually shifting it because of it skipping 2nd gear.

May be a band for 2 and 4

May be a band for 2 and 4

First things, is the car a steal and in good shape otherwise? Check the low blue book. A rebuilt trans is near $1,000 if you install yourself. And putting in a trans is a real pain.

Drive the car in D, see if it shifts through the gears or shifts and misses gears. If it misses a gear does it shift very hard? Does the OD light in the instrument panel start flashing? If yes to the previous, then find the ROUND connector on top of the trans under the battery box. Remove the impossible to see wire clip and pull the plug. Start the car, put into D and see if the car moves. If it moves then your band is probably okay, if not most likely the 2, 4 band.

Other causes can be the shift sensor also near the battery box commonly called the MLPS. Or even the shift cable adust, although not usually.

It could also be an early indicator of something much more serious.

Is this potential girlfriend material? If so and you help her, every single problem with this car will become your problem no matter what.

Thanks Andres. I haven't taken a look at the car yet, but from the pictures and description, it seems like a steal. If the transmission does require an overhaul, I will not bother with it at all. I need something ready to go or easily repairable for her. No, not a girlfriend. Long time friend/ex-girlfriend, but she is in a very tough situation right now and I need to help her out.

I will try to take a look at what you posted and see if I find the issue. I have no problem helping out with anything on the car but the CD4E part of it has me worried. I'd rather get her into an MTX-75 since I'm more familiar with it, and have a spare trans sitting in my garage.

Cd4e isn't that difficult

Cd4e isn't that difficult

If it is a 2 4 band. It can be done for about $150 in parts and fluids. If you have the skills to pull the trans you have the skills to put in a 2 4 band. But only if you resist the temptation to fix everything else the might be a problem in the trans. I put in a 2 4 band but couldn't resist the temptation to delve into my first auto trans, so it cost me about $300. One of the moderators of this forum resisted the tempation and did it for $150. No special tools needed, just the trans manual, forget which one but both do a pretty good job of explaining the work.

Helping out is always a good thing, good for you.

Ps I bought my 98 with a bad band for $300, spent another $300 on the trans and have been driving it for years.

Back