• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ATX Gear Selector Handle Removal ??

CKtour98

Hard-core CEG'er
Switching center consoles and I need to remove the handle? of the ATX shifter so I can insert the part that says what gear you are in.

I see theres an allen screw but once thats out, how does the handle or whatever come off? I dont want to break anything, tried turning it and nothing happened

Also just something to help maybe... but make use of the anti interlock thing so you can move the handle back and forth without pressing the break etc ... (that little white paddle on the bottom passenger side you can see) i got the center consul out with out removing the knob compleatly

I need to replace the console of her pre98 with a post98 as she wants cupholders and the ones are btoken. I can't seem to get this pre98 console out! I gotta get the handlke off to be able to remove the console overtop but I can't figure out how since the o/d wires are thewe too

EDIT: got the console out, woooo.....had to pull the ebrake up alot and got it out. now to reinstall the post98...shouldnt be too hard, done it with this console a few times so shouldnt have many problems. thnx for ur help!!

I just cut the o/d wires, no big deal. Now I just can't figure out how to manoeuver the console to remove it from the ebrake and near the dash

I just cut the o/d wires, no big deal. Now I just can't figure out how to manoeuver the console to remove it from the ebrake and near the dash

My ebrake was ••••ed up and didnt have the cover but this part might be hard for you if yours doesnt have the cover you can reach in there with a screwdriver and theres a clicky lever latch on one of the gear ish looking things... by lifting this up you can move the ebrake with out engageing the brake or anything else... so you can lift the ebrake straight up and get the consul off.. thats what i did
it has begunsm..jpg
dash offsm..jpg
idk if any of these photos help you....

EDIT: got the console out, woooo.....had to pull the ebrake up alot and got it out. now to reinstall the post98...shouldnt be too hard, done it with this console a few times so shouldnt have many problems. thnx for ur help!!

Glad to hear it... while it's off take a look at the gear thing on the ebrake and mess with it a bit while you can see what your doing it'll help you out when you put it back in

I had to replace this on my daughters car. The red part in the gear selector was broken so you couldn't tell what gear you were in.
I took a different route.
Once the center console was out, I got UNDER the car. Removed the heat shield from around the flex pipe.
Four nuts and pop the cable ends off the ENTIRE handle is ready to come out from inside the car. Just unplug the electrical connector.
Drop the replacement in ($15 at a junkyard - even found a nice leather wrapped one).
Under the car, replace the bolts, and reconnect the cable ends.
All done.

Back