• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ATX advice

XKontour98

Hard-core CEG'er
If you've read my other post, I need to replace my bell housing on my CD4E since the roll resistor ripped a whole in it!

Because, I have to pull the transmission to address this issue, I am thinking of upgrading to a 3L Hybrid while I’m at it.

The car currently has 114K and is a 98 duratec. I've driven it since approx. 33K and started to drain and fill with Mobile 1 ATX fluid since reading about it on this site starting at around 50K.

The trans has never given me any signs of wear or hard shifting and I'd like to think it's in pretty good condition for it's age/milage and considering it’s a CD4E.

Here is where I need your input:

Since I am pulling it and planning to go 3L, do I go ahead and buy a rebuilt transmission that is supposedly updated and tested like the ones I see on Ebay for about $900(see link below), then add a Sonnax Vale Body and Trans-go shift kit, or do I replace my bell housing and add the shift kit and valve body to my current unit?

I'm not sure what other aspects of my trans I should be concerned about as far as replacing worn parts or going with a rebuilt. I've never done any tranny work, so this would be all new to me; however I am willing to give it a shot.

Right now I am trying to gather as much info as I can by searching through the old forums and getting your opinions, so I can make the best decision.

I do know that later CD4E's tend to be better, but is there anyway to now I am getting one of those if it's rebuilt?

All input would be greatly appreciated!

Link to Ebay rebuilds:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CD4E...006QQitemZ160042583043QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

eBay "rebuilds" are around $825 + core of $350! Considering your "core" has a huge gapping hole in it, it's not rebuildable and thus you would be wasting your time sending it in to get the core back. However, even if it was rebuildable, consider this:

$825 for trans
$350 for core
$130-$260 for shipping
---------
$1,305 - $1,435
-$350 for core return
+$200 (split difference)
----------
$1,155 - $1,285 price will roughly be in this range.

Your best bet would be get one of those $200 transmissions specific to your year car and then get all new valve body and MLPS sensor and you should be good to go and spend tons less.

eBay "rebuilds" are around $825 + core of $350! Considering your "core" has a huge gapping hole in it, it's not rebuildable and thus you would be wasting your time sending it in to get the core back. However, even if it was rebuildable, consider this:

$825 for trans
$350 for core
$130-$260 for shipping
---------
$1,305 - $1,435
-$350 for core return
+$200 (split difference)
----------
$1,155 - $1,285 price will roughly be in this range.

Your best bet would be get one of those $200 transmissions specific to your year car and then get all new valve body and MLPS sensor and you should be good to go and spend tons less.

Excellent advice! I think that is going to be my best bet! I was unaware of the core charges and such, so thank you for preventing me of this mistake!

Sell it and but an MTX! The only person that has donw a 3L atx swapped out the ATX. That tells you something.

I am pretty sure there are a bunch of NECO membes that are running this combo.

Either way I need to fix the trans regardless if I keep it or sell it. I have way too much into this car that it's just not practicle to sell it right now.

Several people familiar with the CD4E including TH, feel it is adequate to run a 3L. Afterall the Escape's are running the same drivetrain with little or no problems.

It hink I will be safe as long as I upgrade the weak links in the CD4E with what is available.

Back