• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any hints/writeups on a head repalcement on a '96 GL?

B

beady

My neighbor warped the head on his '96 a week or two back. He got a replacement head and I'm going to help him swap it onto his car.

I was hoping for some "do this" and "don't do this" advice. I asked him to get a Haynes or Chilton's manual, but they always seem to leave out little tidbits of info that make life easier, or leave out tons altogether: "Remove intake and exhaust manifold, then remove head". Yeah, that's a lot of help :)

I searched but I couldn't find any writeups, etc on the subject.

I'd appreciate any tricks/pointers/special tools I'll need to fab/links to helpful threads, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Guess I should have read the sticky as well as searching. Sorry, figured this was a trouleshooting topic. Mods, can you please move to the correct forum since I can't delete and repost.

Thanks,

Mike

autozone is essentially the Chiltons manual.

a couple tips:

-use a ratcheting 10mm wrench for the intake manifold bolts.
-leave the exhaust manifold attached to the head and swap it over to the new head before installing it. just disconnect it at the CAT.
-remove the alternator and its bracket, you can leave the tensioner on the bracket.
-leave the upper radiator hose attached to the thermostat housing and just remove the 3 long bolts holding it to the head.
-you can leave the power steering pump in but you may want to remove the bolt that holds the line down on the front bracket. this will give you enough play in the line to move it clear of the head.
-you can remove just the upper timing belt cover. with some finagling you can get it past the waterpump pulley.
-leave the lifters in their correct locations and swap them over to the exact same position on the new head (can be done before or after the head is removed).
-you will have to pull the cams to get to the bolts. go buy the correct socket set to do it, its an inverted torx set. (these can also be used to remove the exhaust and intake manifold studs)
-if you cant get the EGR tube off the exhaust manifold then unbolt the EGR valve and take it with the head.

beady said:
Thanks for the link to the online manual, not sure if my neighbor bought on yet.

For some reason I can't reply to the post to thank you and the other poster though?

You don't have priviledges to post on this forum yet.

If you swap lifters (buckets) be sure to swap cams as well on a 98+ head (mechanical lash adjustment). Hydraulic lifters you can probably leave alone.

I think it was said already but remember that our head bolts are not intended to be reused. Also be sure to check the deck of the block for flatness using a straightedge and feeler blades.

Back