• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

alpine type-r's fit in front doors?

1fastls1

New CEG'er
Hey everyone I'm new here and new to my contour haha. I was wondering if 6x8 alpine type-r's would fit in the front doors? Crutchfield says they won't fit in the front, only the rear. But I didn't know if they could fit with minor modification or what. I am looking for speakers that I can crank up without worrying about distortion and still play clear with a good amount of bass. I will be pairing an alpine 4 channel amp to this, I think it's 450 watt rms. I'll be adding rear speakers at a later time, my current ones don't work lol.

Or does anyone else have any other suggestions? I'm looking in the $90-$120 range. I'm used to quality, I have a full memphis system in my camaro so I want to be sure to make a good choice haha.

You won't get any sort of worthwhile bass from the door speakers, even if they are amplified.

Try these, they are 2 ohms which will help you get more power to them and they are a pretty efficient speaker and sound awesome. They should work in the front with a 2.5in mounting depth and they are component style with a seperate tweeter and passive crossover: http://www.caraudiodeals.com/infinity-kappa6809cs-p-4584.html

Seems you guys are big fans of the Infinity Kappa's over here lol. I had Infinity's in my minivan and they had the tendency to crackle and pop when I cranked the volume up, though they were not amplified and running off the head unit. Will these be able to take some abuse with an amp? I'm not looking for a huge amount of bass, just enough to at least hear the lower notes. If I get too fed up with the lack of bass I have a sub/box/amp that I can swap over from my camaro. Just a single 10 but it's a memphis M3 and it ••••ing slams lol.

All speakers crack and pop when you turn the volume up on the headunit if you use bass boost. The Kappas are the best sounding budget friendly speaker offered in 6x8 size, thats why a lot of people on here use them. You need to not use bass boost and learn how to set your gains properly and you wont have a problem. When they crack and pop like that, you are clipping the signal. If they can do it with a headunit, you are severely clipping them and its time to back loudness and bass boost off.

You should never ever use bass boost on anything that has an aftermarket amp. Even headunits can kill low powered speakers if you clip them bad enough.

If you want the deeper speakers to fit you might want to consider building a plate for them so it increases the mounting depth size. It's basically like putting a spacer between the door and speaker. Most car stereo shops will be able to do this and if you go with a 6 1/2" round speaker you can buy the adaptor to fit it. I believe metra makes it. Going with a 6 1/2" gives you more options to go with. I basicall ran into the same problem with the deep 5x7's...I installed them without knowing they were to deep and the window hit them coming down. As far as the cracking and popping most speakers will do that when the are turned up too loud without enough power. Headunit power is crap.......you will starve the speakers unless you have a very efficient speakers but even then headunit power isn't as clean as having a 2 or 4 channel amp.

If you want the deeper speakers to fit you might want to consider building a plate for them so it increases the mounting depth size. It's basically like putting a spacer between the door and speaker. Most car stereo shops will be able to do this and if you go with a 6 1/2" round speaker you can buy the adaptor to fit it. I believe metra makes it. Going with a 6 1/2" gives you more options to go with. I basicall ran into the same problem with the deep 5x7's...I installed them without knowing they were to deep and the window hit them coming down. As far as the cracking and popping most speakers will do that when the are turned up too loud without enough power. Headunit power is crap.......you will starve the speakers unless you have a very efficient speakers but even then headunit power isn't as clean as having a 2 or 4 channel amp.

This is why you roll the windows down when installing in doors. Usually most people experience issues when they are using component speakers without an amplifier. Can happen with other speaker setups as well, that is just the most common setup.

This is why you roll the windows down when installing in doors. Usually most people experience issues when they are using component speakers without an amplifier. Can happen with other speaker setups as well, that is just the most common setup.

Normally I do install with them down but for some reason I didn't on these....luckily I only did one before I realized I screwed up...lol. But yeah your right about the component speakers but I have seen coax's do the same thing.

Thanks for the replies. I think i am going to try the infinity kappas, just the speaker not the component kit with the seperate tweeter. They seem to be good for the price ($70 on amazon). The only thing i am worried about is the little crossover box/dongle that is attached to it. I'm not sure if there is space or where i will mount it. Any suggestions? This is what I'm talking about http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0018SMVCS/ref=aw_d_iv_electronics?is=l&qid=1310915350&sr=8-5

i cannot comment on where to mount the little box, but I ran the 6x8 coaxle's in my ranger amp and they are a great sounding speaker. I also had subwoofers though, so I set the crossovers accordingly

Should be fine with that adapter, Sometimes there are tabs on the basket of the speaker that you can use to hold wires out of the way. Otherwise zip ties are the best thing ever. Also using either metra part # 72-9300 or 72-9301, same harness, just different names, should work for your contour, will make wiring a whole lot easier. Another easy way to do it too is to mount the speaker with it connected to peel the bottom foam out and reach up and behind. Then reset the foam.

http://www.metraonline.com/search?q=72-&submit=submit

Back