• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aftermarket cams ?

DaveInVA

CEG'er
I was wondering if anyone knows of manufacturers of "spicier" aftermarket cams for the CSVT ? Around 2002, it was said that none were available, but I thought perhaps at this point, there might be some . . . ?

It would make more sense to just throw a 3.0L in your car with the SVT cams then getting aftermarket cams as it would cost around the same. You'd pick up more power and have a newer engine. Also you pretty much have to pull the engine to swap cams anyway, might as well swap engines instead.

Really... man after all the flipping work I did looking into ALL the cam options you think stuff like this would be stickied or posted in the must read sections. Give me a few while I dig up my old thread...

Well this is the second time I have typed this out as the last time I accidently hit back on my browser and lost everything :nonono:

And with that here are your options... (I also just added this info in the 'must read' sticky at the top so hopefully this doesn't come up again ;) )

Ford ST220 Cams
Supposedly these are the same cams in the new Escape 3L's without VVT, however it has not been proven. Mountune and JetStream Motorsports both believe they are not the same, but I don't necessarily believe them.
Specs
Inlet
Peak Lift: 9.721mm (0.383")
Duration: 250deg
Exhaust
Peak Lift: 9.887mm (0.389")
Duration: 280deg

Cosworth - Has no intentions of making anything for the V6 Ford engines. They focus primarily on the I4 engines.

Mountune - Has three different profile cams for the Noble engines. Max lift varies from 11.1mm (0.437") to 12.2mm (0.480"). However these cams will coil-bind stock springs. So their springs and retainers are recommended. Here are the specs for the cams I purchased, which will require you to send in a set of core Mondeo ST220 cams. If you can't provide them they can source some for you (they did for me). When I did this it ran me about $1,600 shipped. Cams run £225 or about $348.48.
Inlet (p/n: BP285)
Peak Lift: 11.811mm (0.465")
Duration: 268deg
Exhaust (p/n: MMK1)
Peak Lift: 11.118mm (0.439")
Duration: 298deg

Newman Cams - They offer cams for the Noble, however I never received info on the specifics/specs. They are over seas and would require a phone call to get it squared away.

Cam Motion - Has cores, but nothing developed from the sounds of things. Came to this conclusion working through Futral Motorsports (FMS). Would require you to send your cams in.

Cat Cams - Currently has a few options. I worked through VAC Motorsports, a US dealer for them to get availability and pricing. After an order it would be about 4-6 weeks. Pricing is ~$1,394. However please note these cams do not include cam gears and you must install your own or have a cam shop do it for you.
attachment.php

SHOSource - Has ability to provide regrinds. I don't know of anyone running these, but they are a stand up company and have done great work for SHO owners.

The ST220 is the same as older Escape V6 3.0 w/o VVT.
Intake Open = 4 deg. BTDC
Intake Close = 48 deg. ABDC
Intake Duration = 232 deg
Exhaust Open = 56 deg. BBDC
Exhaust Close = 12 deg. ATDC
Exhaust Duration = 248 deg.
Max Lift = 9.3mm

It is discussed by FCO and Talkford.com and my friend had visually compared both of them.
The link is at:
http://www.fordcontour.org/topic/13063-st220-parts-myths-topic/
and
http://www.talkford.com/topic/129866-st220-cams-specs/
The 20-ish extra hp is from ST220's intake and exhaust designs.

Last edited:
Piper cams seem to offer a cam for Duratec V6.
http://google.motorsportworld.co.uk/framefix-detrange2.asp?MANUFACTURERS=1243
It is for Essex V6 3.0. But it seem to work on Duratec, too.

Interesting. Piper cams actually manufactures the cams for Mountune. Those are the cams I have. However I thought the one you have shown there did not work with the Duratec.

The ST220 is the same as older Escape V6 3.0 w/o VVT.
Intake Open = 4 deg. BTDC
Intake Close = 48 deg. ABDC
Intake Duration = 232 deg
Exhaust Open = 56 deg. BBDC
Exhaust Close = 12 deg. ATDC
Exhaust Duration = 248 deg.
Max Lift = 9.3mm

It is discussed by FCO and Talkford.com and my friend had visually compared both of them.
The link is at:
http://www.fordcontour.org/topic/13063-st220-parts-myths-topic/
and
http://www.talkford.com/topic/129866-st220-cams-specs/
The 20-ish extra hp is from ST220's intake and exhaust designs.

Funny that your specs do not match the ones I have. The specs I provided came directly from Mountune/Piper Cams. Also I asked Mountune/JetStream Motorsports/Piper Cams about using the Escape cams for cores for the regrind and they said now the US spec Escape cams are not the same as the Mondeo cams and could not be used. So I don't know how much faith I have in those responses. I'm aware of the talkford.com thread... I'm the one that started it ;)

Piper Cams seem to have a part number DURV6BP270 before. But I can't find anymore info other than this:
http://google.motorsportworld.co.uk/framefix-detrange2.asp?MANUFACTURERS=1243

Hmm, then this should be quite interesting. I'll ask my friend to measure the cams he removed from his ST220.
He installed SVT cams on his ST220 few months ago, he does feel the difference, and quite a lot.
Measuring one should be the closest to the facts.

Hmm, then this should be quite interesting. I'll ask my friend to measure the cams he removed from his ST220.
He installed SVT cams on his ST220 few months ago, he does feel the difference, and quite a lot.
Measuring one should be the closest to the facts.

Here is what I guy I know over on the Noble Forums said when he measured his cams after I asked about comparisons. Thread is located here, NobleForums.com Cam Thread

Ran out to the shop and checked a set of donor Escape cams and ST 220 cams. These are the specs for the donors.

Escape
Intake-total crank dur 232deg @.000in lobe lift. Max valve lift - 8.727mm
Exh-total dur 248deg @.000in lobe lift. Max valve lift - 9.53mm

ST 220
Intake- Crank dur 238deg @.001in lobe lift. Crank dur 149deg @.050in lobe lift. Max valve lift .370in, 9.40mm.
Exh- Crank dur 274deg @.001in lobe lift. Crank dur 177deg @.050in lobe lift. Max valve lift .379in, 9.63mm.

Note the cam timing is not the same for these two donors.

I know nothing of the Mazda cam specs.

Hmm...This is interesting.
The thread you pointed also has this posted, measured at Crower. They are a bit different, again. :confused:
There must be an error in your measurement. Those durations are for very radical cams or they are not for .050" lobe lift. The following were measured by cam doctor machine at Crower cams for M400 cams.
duration at .005 lift duration at .050 lift Lobe lift
Intake 220 158 .187
Exhaust 250 185 .189

I use rocker ratio of 1.8 for valve lift calculations but I am not 100% sure about the accuracy of this number. Mazda 6 specs were meaured and they were the same as above. Lift and durations for a universal 3.0 Duratec cams were also measured and both are slightly less than above.
I forgot to mention that cam changes require computer recalibration which is very easy in my case since I use Electromotive computer. Stock computer and wirings were tossed.

Hmm...This is interesting.
The thread you pointed also has this posted, measured at Crower. They are a bit different, again. :confused:

That's because it's a manual measurement process and therefore has human error. Then you throw in the tolerance on the cams themselves. Not to mention whether they are checking them exactly at 0.50" lift or maybe it was it 0.50"±.20". All of these variables could stack up to make a decent difference.

Any idea where the threshold limit on lift is that results in coil bind on 3.0L OEM springs, i.e., 2005 Escape motor?

Not sure, but I know the cams I have will cause binding according to Mountune. That is why I purchased aftermarket springs from Mountune, which are again produced by Piper Cams.

Back