• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

AC will not come on in the CSVT

ScottyDsntKnow

Veteran CEG'er
Ok, another bit of maintenance I'm going to have to do on my CSVT in addition to the motor pull. My AC will not turn on. The system is charged and holding pressure but it just won't turn on. Is there something easy like a pressure switch or a solenoid or something that I can change for a few bucks or am I going to have to shell out for a new compressor?

Well it doesn't come on at all, as in no air flow? Or it doesn't cool, these are important distinctions, does the heat blow?

Well then cheap/easy first is the best rule to follow, there is a pressure cycling switch and a pressure-regulating switch in the A/C system. Hard to tell from my Haynes manual but looks like both are on the firewall, though they both seem to be near the pressure relief valve, I know there's one on the front near the radiator IIRC, but I don't remember where the other one is, check for connectors near both. No resistance values are given in my Haynes manual though so I can't tell you what to reference if they are bad.

Sometimes this can be clutch spacing on the compressor itself or faulty wiring to the compressor. A/C is a tricky beast really, it's also possible to have too much pressure in a system for it to engage.

If u turn the switch on does the clutch cycle? If not it could be the clutch or a relay. If it does cycle, u probably have a leak somewhere or a clogged accumulator/drier.

I would guess a leak somewhere because it is possible for too little freon to move the clutch as well like what redline was saying.

I just replace my compressor, accumulation/drier, and got a charge and leak test for just over 400. I replace the compressor, the shop I took it to did the drier.

no it doesnt cycle on when the ac is turned on. it just blows hot air. i was thinking the relay maybe, is there anyway to check the relay. otherwise i think i may just try to replace the whole compressor

the switch on the reciever dryer under the battery is a pressure switch ( IIRC for the low cut off ) I think that is the one I jumopered when I wanted to manually make mine work. The last two years it worked I would have to jumper this switch and then it would start working again.

Back