• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A slight change of direction.

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
No, I'm not going to rice out the Fusion.

Ever since I got rid of the Jeep, I've had way too much free time on my hands...nothing to really work on.

I was checking out Craigslist for my area like I usually do out of habit. I came across an ad for something I never actually thought I would buy. I figured I needed something to tie up some of my time. $200 later I have this behemoth sitting on the side of the garage.

5N25W05Mc3L63F73Ndc755ec4f3e350bb193f.jpg

The id tag number shows it was a '73 MTD 990. I figure for $200 its not going to break the bank if I don't get it back to perfect condition...mechanical anyway.

My buddies got an old tractor like that for pulling contests, very cool.

I had no idea there was actually a community for restoring and modifying old lawn tractors...until today.

I had no idea there was actually a community for restoring and modifying old lawn tractors...until today.

I'm just trying to get mine to stop leaking 1/4qt of oil every time I use it. I think the gasket for the engine block girdle is shot... freak'n have to tear the whole dang thing apart to replace it too.

I always thought the front looked like a jousting helmet on those.

Got the 990 home, I think I might have my work cut out for me. It looks like someone bastardized all the wiring on it. I might have to tear it down completely and sand blast everything...and I mean everything. The starter/generator cranks the motor, very slowly though. Looks like I'll need to by a few tools for this that I don't have. Time to browse eBay for some oem parts.

Wiring is easy. I redid it all on mine. Many diagrams on the net. Im making mine into a puller.

What I find interesting is that it has an entire hydraulic set up...and I didn't even notice it. Guess I was too focused on the wiring.

I forgot I started this thread.

Well, it runs (yeah, $200 later) pretty good. Still need to work with the carb though, I think the linkages need new springs.

Now I only need to work on making the missing pieces I need to hook up the hydrostatic bits.

Back